Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 35mm F2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 6:46 PM

Is this what I've been waiting years for? It just might be. Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM - what more could you want. Lightweight, fast, just the focal length I like. It'll be interesting to read the reviews - released next month. Just in time for Christmas. SmileSmileSmile (rrp 799, but for how long?).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Nov 2012 - 6:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91886 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 7:10 PM

Personally I think this is likely to be a bit special.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 7:22 PM

Twice the size and weight of the Canon but I prefer the speed. Still, you can't have everything. F2 with a 4 stop IS is good enough for me.
    x

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 7:46 PM

Sigma really seem to be determined to make their lenses the ones to beat as opposed to being "third" party. Good for them. It'll keep the other lot on their toes!

banehawi
    banehawi Critique Team 10781 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2794 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 8:17 PM

Looks like a good lens. The Canon 35mm 1.4 is outstanding.

GlennH
    21 Nov 2012 - 9:07 PM

A mate of mine wrote about the Sigma, here. The site's probably worth watching for anyone interested in lenses - his isn't an ordinary knowledge and he's gearing up for lens tests and reviews.

SlowSong
    21 Nov 2012 - 10:11 PM

Well, a Canon is a Canon. You might pay a premium but in the end the quality shows.

GlennH
    21 Nov 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm sure the Canon's a great lens, and of course IS allows extra creative potential aside from just ensuring sharper pictures. Canon though have never been peerless at the wide end of lens making, whereas they do tend to be with telephotos. Results from the Sigma are just beginning to appear today.

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2012 - 12:40 PM

Another Sigma Link

The Sigma is also 799 and looks very tempting. Their 50mm 1.4 is very highly regarded and I have their 85mm 1.4 which is exceptional - looks like their new 35mm 1.4 will also be a winner.

SlowSong
    22 Nov 2012 - 3:33 PM

I'll wait for a comparison to be made. Be interesting. I like the Sigma shots though Glenn.
    x

GlennH
    22 Nov 2012 - 4:40 PM

An f/2 is a 'safer' lens in that it's unlikely to court the focusing and axial CA problems that are inherent in extremely fast lenses. On the other hand, the fast Sigmas are famous for their 'bokeh' - the 50 and 85mm f/1.4 lenses being the competitors of expensive Canon f/1.2 equivalents.

A notable aspect of this new Sigma though is its increased level of refinement - with a degree of optical correction that looks beyond anything they've made before (more akin to expensive Zeiss primes). It'll be interesting to see what the pundits make of it.

Last Modified By GlennH at 22 Nov 2012 - 4:40 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.