Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 400D error 99

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    STEVELIN
    STEVELIN  6155 forum posts Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2009 - 9:56 AM

I was using may camera yesterday and error 99 showed, it would not take a shot, and was telling me to power off remove battery and power up i done this several times with no success, ichanged lens and it worked ok any ideas of what error 99 is, could not find anything in the manual about error 99

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jul 2009 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    4 Jul 2009 - 10:33 AM

Error 99 seems to a catch-all for Canon, but from what you describe it is most likely dirty contacts on the lens. Give them a clean and try it again.

Brett

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    PaulSR
    PaulSR  9511 forum posts England
    4 Jul 2009 - 10:40 AM

this sight should help

http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

looks like an instant fix

STEVELIN
    4 Jul 2009 - 10:46 AM

thanks ill give it a go
    steve

JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2009 - 10:52 AM

I had this happen to me a while back and it turned out to be a faulty connection with the lens - my fault entirely as I'd changed lenses in a hurry and obviously not got the new one aligned properly. Fortunately no damage was done but it's made me more aware now of getting the "spots" lined up properly Wink Smile

Jane

captainpenguin
    4 Jul 2009 - 11:02 AM

Its a standard canon error code just clean all the contacts on camera,lens and batteries and it should be ok until the next time

STEVELIN
    4 Jul 2009 - 2:07 PM

thanks jane and nigel.
    steve

Phil1958
    Phil1958  5272 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2009 - 12:07 AM

It also happens if your lens is not compatible with DSLR's like some of the older Sigma lenses which haven't got the "digital chip"

STEVELIN
    7 Jul 2009 - 9:17 PM

this was happening with my 18-55mm canon kit lens when i changed to my sigma 70-300 it worked fine phil its got me thinking now it might have been another problem with the camera, i googled it and found a site and people were talking shutters and loads a money to get it fixed, thanks for your comment phil.
    steve

epathchina
    9 Jul 2009 - 11:17 AM

ERR99 (error 99) is a Canon SLR common tips, manual is marked "other failures." Generally speaking, ERR99 by contact lens or aperture failure caused by cable faults, which aperture the most common cable fault.

There is a Canon lens aperture is responsible for transmitting data cable soft, which is often in a cable shrinkage or stretching of the movement, and therefore are prone to fracture. After fracture can still use the lens, but the data does not pass, so can only use the maximum aperture photography, shooting with the other aperture ERR99 there will be failures, even if the depth of field preview function is also impossible to enforce.

Fault occurs, the camera moves half of the reflective plate that is stopped, the viewfinder can not see things darken. Camera LCD display ERR 99, and can not be a normal shutdown, remove the battery to be re-fitted to a normal boot.

Compared in terms of contact lens failure is not a lot of cleaning to remove the lens and then fitted with some contacts, and basic troubleshooting can. The cable fault is not possible to clear the fault of their own.

Canon lens, EFS 18-55 hedging the most prone to cable failure, the maintenance of security needs after the Canon 400. Therefore any such failure of maintenance of the camera should be as soon as possible to avoid the maintenance of security. In addition, the Sigma lens cable the higher the probability of failure occur, please try to warranty repair.

STEVELIN
    10 Jul 2009 - 10:02 PM

thanks for the info epathchina.
    steve

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.