Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 400D now 350! Help!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
the_drewster
5 Apr 2007 - 1:50 PM

I had my heart set on a Samsung GX10 (Pentax K10, hee hee). I've been saving up the 600 to get the Samsung twin lens kit. Now I've discovered the Canon 400d is being sold for 400 with a standard lens. Include the canon cash back, and that's 350!

What do I do?

I really wanted the Samsung, but I'm not a mug.

These are pictures taken by the K10. Can the Canon 400D match them, 'cause frankly speaking I haven't seen any.

K10 Photos

Thanks

Drew

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Apr 2007 - 1:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
5 Apr 2007 - 2:16 PM

The 400D is an excellent camera that has received excellent reviews. You will be more than happy with it and you're buying into a big well-established system.

It's a safe purchase, but why don't you handle a 400D at a High street store before parting with your money.

Jo

the_drewster
5 Apr 2007 - 2:24 PM

Hi Jo (bet your not as little as me)

It's the picture quality that's most important. The K10/Samsung is so gorgeous. While the canon is marvelous, I haven't seen any 400d pictures that have blown me away.

Plus all the mag reviews give the Samsung/k10 higher overall scores at the bag of the magazines.

But the Canon's only 350 (and the offer's not on for long)!

Tutterzzz
Tutterzzz  7160 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2007 - 2:26 PM

Quote: These are pictures taken by the K10. Can the Canon 400D match them, 'cause frankly speaking I haven't seen any.

it varys, the kit lens on the canon is rubbish, get some decent glass and no doubt it will match the quality from them

trivets12
trivets12  101144 forum posts
5 Apr 2007 - 2:41 PM

The kit lens is most certainly not rubbish, it isn't great but certainly can take satisfactory images unless you are looking for the detail and sharpness of L lenses. I have seen a 40 x 30 poster of an image taken with the kit lens and whilst it may not be good enough for pro work, it is definitely capable of being a beginner and/or standby lens.

the_drewster
5 Apr 2007 - 2:44 PM

I just spoke to a shop that said that the Canon Kit lens is half as good as the Samsung, but maybe he just wanted me to buy the dearer camera.

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2007 - 3:06 PM

What lens was used on the K10 for the comparison you are making???

If you put 5 or 7 hundreds quids worth of " L " lens on a 400D, your will more than match most similarly specced cameras.

LET'S not forget that it's the lens that can make or break quality, Irrespective of the body it's mounted on, Or what brand your looking at.

Vince

smileylaura
5 Apr 2007 - 3:46 PM

I would say get the canon, and use the money you save by not buying the samsung...towards buying a very good lens.

So that way you have a very good lens, and the kit lens as spare.

Draig37
Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
5 Apr 2007 - 3:49 PM

get the 400 - you really really wont regret it, I've got the 350 and was that impressed I bought my wife the 400 - now it's on sale for 350 - rip their arms off mate

Tutterzzz
Tutterzzz  7160 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2007 - 3:49 PM

Quote: The kit lens is most certainly not rubbish,

well i think it is. personal opinion, but what im really saying is its the cheapest lens around and so meaning its probably obviously not as good as the range of lenses on the market

my kit lens isnt bad, but i would of prefered canon to but a bit extra into it and i would of payed abit more

ecowarrior
5 Apr 2007 - 4:20 PM

You could always get the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II prime lens. If this is anything like the Nikon equivalent, then it will give you the opportunity to take some really sharp shots with this even if the kit lens is a bit soft or whatever.

Just did a google and this lens would set you back about 70.

This being a prime (non-zoom) lens, it would be ideal for shots of family members etc. but won't be up to taking long range shots of wildlife! So you'd have to decide what sort of photography you want to do.

Just an idea.

the_drewster
5 Apr 2007 - 4:57 PM

So looks like I'll be spending 600 either way. Samsung (with the D-Xenon lens kit) or Canon but buy additinal lenses for it.

Maybe I should look long term then. Which lenses are cheaper? I hear Canon are more expensive because anti shake is built into the lens, and yet there's more Canon second lenses about than Pentax ones. I'll rephrase the question then, in the second hand market, which lenses are cheaper? Canon or Pantex? Where can I find second hand lenses to compare?

smileylaura
5 Apr 2007 - 8:44 PM

I think Canon second hand lenses would be easier to get hold of and possibly cost less.
Could be wrong about the costs but all in all I vouch for Canon!

ruralscotland

With regards to second hand Pentax lens prices, check out completed items on Ebay or Ffordes.com for this.

Superficial
5 Apr 2007 - 10:40 PM

A few months ago it was very fashionable to slate the Canon kit lens. Now people seem to be sticking up for it. Whilst it's not completely terrible, there are many, far better lenses. It's soft at all apertures/zooms, and it's got poor contrast and it flares badly. Whereas the 50mm f/1.8 is very sharp, has good contrast etc etc. The only problem is that it's a bit long for general use.

But yeah, buy the Canon. Later you can upgrade the lens, and you'll be laughing. There's much more lens choice for Canons (second hand etc) and more accessories. Though if you never plan on upgrading, I'd imagine that the Samsung is a better buy, purely because the lens is supposed to be a lot better.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.