Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 40d - Latest Price

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Sep 2007 11:56AM

Quote:Personally I find sick a great subject for photos.

thats only because you got a HC for it...lol

Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 11:57AM
Might have something to do with it Wink
14 Sep 2007 3:47PM
Just took a few snapshots as I had to nip out.

JPGs are very soft.

Noise at high ISO looks OK but as pics are soft at the moment this would hide the noise anyway.

I haven't altered any settings as yet.

I will look at the RAW files when I get home, assuming the Lightroom update is free.

pete
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 3:49PM
An in depth review of the 40D. I have never used this site before so have no idea if they are good or not.

They note that RAW files are sharper than the JPEG Peter. also they recommend moving the camera sharpening on a step.
14 Sep 2007 3:57PM
My workflow is that everything goes straight into Lightroom, so camera settings don't bother me.

It will just be getting the right preset. At the moment I like the standard "Lightroom punch"
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 3:58PM
Not sick, it's pooh, very runny pooh that has gone right into the pile of my new carpet. Cleaned it up and more has appeared in office now!!!!!!! She has just had to go onto beta blockers for a heart problem, so I'll have to see if it's a side effect. do not want to get too close to photograph it Smile

Have set my parameter for sharper already, it's something I did on the 20D as well.
strawman e2
14 Sep 2007 4:26PM
Thank you for sharing that.

Off to play with a camera
strawman e2
14 Sep 2007 6:19PM
My initial comments. Handling wise great and the Af feels very fast. Metering wise the 40D I tried was spot on. My 300D required -2/3 compensation for test shots, 40D spot on. Both cameras showing the same shutter speed in the end so I guess the 40D metering is working better. Responses wise the 40D felt great. Viewfinder is big as is LCD but is the LCD sharp?

On images, 1st initial comment 40D JPEG images are soft, very soft. So much so that at initial glance my 300D images look significantly sharper. 40D was on factory default so that could be a problem

You can sharpen the 40D images a lot, up to 200% USM before it starts to look over sharp. I need to play with images for a bit. I also need to download a RAW converter, before drawing any conclusion.

Noise wise the 40D is better but not a long way. I will look in shadows etc to check.

It's a nice day outside I need to go enjoy the light. Bye.Quote this post Also warning, a 5 min set of test photo's does not allow an in-depth test.
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
14 Sep 2007 8:28PM
Sorry to hear about your shagpile. We lost our cleaner the other day when she found runny poo, she refused to clean for us anymore.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 8:48PM
We invested in a Bissell carpet cleaner after Smudge suffered from Giardia ("Explosive foul-smelling poo") - A worthwhile investment IMHO.
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
14 Sep 2007 10:45PM
That sounds very useful. Though at the moment I can't ENCOURAGE ANY MORE EXPENSIVE PURCHASES if you know what I mean! (when I'm trying to justify the 750 or whatever the 40d is).
strawman e2
14 Sep 2007 11:12PM
If I could get that clumber some unwieldy piece of ************************ called Lightroom to behave I could compare the RAW files. At the moment it must be using some stupid colour space as I cannot get it to export to Elements without the colours going very badly wrong.

All it has is some patronising help guff about calibrating your moniotor, I do it is. Crap and slow

Off to the Canon website its software cannot be less user friendly.
strawman e2
15 Sep 2007 12:37AM
The good news is that the 40D raw pic's look a lot better than the JPEG.
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
15 Sep 2007 1:13AM
can't wait for the output on here...
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2007 7:30AM
Luckily hubby has industrial carpet cleaning machine at factory, carpets look nice and new again. Culprit has been given a dose of peptobismal Smile It could have been worse, I've had one with haemmorragic gastroenteritis before, that was really foul Sad Wish I could have refused to clean myself.

Got to stay around the house this morning as waiting for someone to look at a motorbike, so am going to do some still life this morning Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.