Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 40d - Latest Price

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sassie
Sassie  7189 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Sep 2007 - 8:28 AM

I use a tripod and the camera's timer for my macro work.

Last night read the write-up on cameralabs ( http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_40D/index.shtml ) and watched the video tour - the Live View feature certainly looks as if it might be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2007 - 8:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

canon_stu
canon_stu  11140 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2007 - 9:32 PM

Quote: Peter
Having looked afresh at A3 size prints, I am now wondering just how much resolution I actualy need.

Peter, are you saying the 40d hasnt enough or more than enough resolution for an A3 print?
I have printed A3's from my 40d on an epson 1400 a3 printer and i believe it leaves my old 20d standing in terms of colour sharpness and noise. I am really happy at the upgrade.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2007 - 10:07 PM

That looks like a bit of my post. I think a 40D will be fine at A3, my comment was do you even need 10mp?

My reflection was the 6mp images came out so good I was wondering if I needed more. In fact the problem with the comparison I made was the ISO100 300D images were just too good. At A3 size and ISO100 I find I can spit on the difference between my 300D and the 40D.

This was a surprise to me at the time and I thing I have become wrapped up in the more more more that you get into and had forgotten that when I have big prints made I have been more than happy. Also the 300D is a few generations out of date.

One slight note (providing I do the 40D in lightroom, and my 300D in phase one, as lightroom does not give a good colour response for the 300D). The 40D is slightly more detailed but only at a squinting a the paper level.

Now high ISO the 40D has a clear advantage over the 300D. But against a 20D I would say spit on the difference on RAW images. Are your comparisons on RAW or JPEG images?

And the 40D offers more of an upgrade than just image quality. I will probably get one, some time, but I am not in the greatest rush.

canon_stu
canon_stu  11140 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2007 - 7:35 PM

the comparisons i have found have been through raw conversions firstly through bibble as photoshop didnt support the 40d raw files and now in acr after the update which is great i find. the detail is superb and the noise is so much less apparent than the prints from the 20d. But for some reason the 40d is taking some getting used to in use with its new menu and the auto iso which i have switched off.

cuffit
cuffit  7180 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2007 - 10:33 PM

I know that photographers are unlikely to buy a camera just because it has a 'dust removal' feature, but surprised it has not been mentioned in this thread (switching of lenses and much use with new piece of kit). I have a 30D which seems to attract dust even if I do not remove the lens - any views (sic) yet on this feature? PS Hope the first line of any reply doesn't start ' no comments because it does not have such a feature1' LOL Chris

p3asa
p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
20 Sep 2007 - 10:50 AM

I see play.com are now doing it for 749 delivered.

Any economists reckon by January / February it will level off at 600 odd?

Steven.

mark_delta
20 Sep 2007 - 5:44 PM

645 by Christmas !

XxPaulxX
XxPaulxX  8260 forum posts England
21 Sep 2007 - 12:34 PM

Great to see some reviews of this item. Can I ask those that have one if they have noticed a huge difference in battery life whilst using the live view feature? I have been able to take over 700 pics with my 400d without needing to change batteries, just wondered how the live view might cut that number down?

Paul Smile

p3asa
28 Sep 2007 - 8:27 PM

679 from Devon camera after the 50 cashback. Surely at this price that camera is a steal?

Steven.

dp
dp  10163 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2007 - 9:04 PM

Quote:
At A3 size and ISO100 I find I can spit on the difference between my 300D and the 40D.

This was a surprise to me at the time and I thing I have become wrapped up in the more more more that you get into and had forgotten that when I have big prints made I have been more than happy.

Interesting. I have argued on here about the benefits of a 350D v 30D as they have the same mp. I have had some really nice A2s done from my 350 (with some decent glass) and they would have been no better with a 30D. I dont expect the increase to 10mp to make much difference. I will buy a 40D at christmas as I will need the wifi facility next year and yes, the cleaning ccd will be great as well as I shoot 100's of portraits at a time for work and a piece of dust in the wrong place is an absolute nightmare. Liveview, as I wear specs, should be great to, although battery life with this feature, I would imagine will not be great.
In other words I think upgrading to a 40D from other Canons should probably not be done for the sake of resolution, but more in terms of the extra features.

Thanks to all who have posted their thoughts though.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2007 - 9:23 PM

Quote: In other words I think upgrading to a 40D from other Canons should probably not be done for the sake of resolution, but more in terms of the extra features.

I agree and that was my conclusion. And I expect to upgrade this weekend given the cash back is in force now that it is down to 729 and a 50 cash back.

my old camera is aproaching 50,000 images and I think I have tried my luck for long enough. Also the longer shutter life needs to be factored in. The 300D has served me well for over 3 years, I expect 5 years from the 40D.

Last Modified By strawman at 28 Sep 2007 - 9:25 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95932 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 4:40 PM

Quote: I expect to upgrade this weekend

Well ?????????
Just for the record I was in two minds whether I had made the correct move...until today Smile

Adrian

Last Modified By tomcat at 30 Sep 2007 - 4:41 PM
justin c
justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 4:50 PM

Quote: my old camera is aproaching 50,000 images and I think I have tried my luck for long enough. Also the longer shutter life needs to be factored in. The 300D has served me well for over 3 years, I expect 5 years from the 40D.

John,

I wouldn't let that concern you. I'm not sure what the expected shutter life of the 10D was, but I've taken in excess of 120,000 images with it and it's as good now as the day it was bought.
Perhaps there's an awful lot more life in you 300D yet Smile

chuckspics
30 Sep 2007 - 7:49 PM

your talking euros I think, how much in U S currency euro to dollar, Chuckspics???

p3asa
30 Sep 2007 - 7:55 PM

Quote: Your talking euros I think, how much in U S currency euro to dollar, Chuckspics???

You will need to quote who you are referring to?

Steven.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.