Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 40d or 5d mk1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
kevdarke
kevdarke  5
26 Feb 2013 - 7:55 PM

I have been thinking about selling my trusty 40d and buying a second hand 5d mk1 as I would like to move up to a full frame camera but I am on a tight budget hence the second hand camera. I already have 3 L series lenses so hope the new camera will compliment them. What are people's thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Feb 2013 - 7:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
26 Feb 2013 - 9:43 PM

Only do it if you think you definitely need full frame.

You could get the likes of a Sigma 10-20 lens in order to shoot wider angles with your current body.

I have the 5D2 and I do like that I can use the 24-105L as a walkaround lens but I initially went full frame so that I could use my 17-40 indoors and get more in. My previous body (1DMkII) didn't crop as much as your 40D so the 10-20 wasn't an option with it.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2013 - 11:18 PM

I would stay with the 40D unless you print large or shoot a lot of low light stuff and don't like the level of noise. Do you have an option to try the 5D before you buy - if so take some photos and load them onto the screen to see how they look.

kevdarke
kevdarke  5
26 Feb 2013 - 11:20 PM

Cheers Chris.

Yep I too have the Sigma 10-20 lens and wouldn't be with out it and also have the 24-105, its just that i have read reviews about the increase in pic quality you get with a full frame camera this is why I am considering it. I have seen some 2nd hand 5d mk1's for about £450 to £500 so might get one and have my 40d as a back up.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
26 Feb 2013 - 11:51 PM

I have a 5D and 40D and am looking to replace them both... trying to decide between 6D and 7D.....

Beware that 5D is quite old now and 2nd hand one may be well knackered....

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81059 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2013 - 7:53 AM

I had a 40D with a 15-85mm canon lens as a walkabout and 10-20mm Sigma for landscapes. I swapped this for a 5DMk2 with 24-105mmL as a walkabout and a 17-40mmL for landscapes. The jury is quite definitely still out on whether it was worth the money, particularly with the decidedly hit and miss focussing on the 5D Mk2/24-105mm combination hand held at lower light levels. The noise levels are definitely better at low light but I am getting a lot of shots out of focus, probably me not the camera, but it didn't happen with the 40D combination.
The 5D MK2 is supposedly better than the MK1 so I would save your money if I were you.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7663 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2013 - 11:28 AM

I don't think there's going to be as much difference in higher sensitivities as you might expect. The 5D is now a very old design and not a stellar performer at higher sensitivities when compared with today's cameras. Indeed the specification shows it only goes up to ISO 3200 in extended mode - the same as your 40D. It may just have the edge there, but it will easily be outclassed by any more relatively recent APSc or 4/3 camera in that regard.

The only clear difference/advantages [in some circumstances] are tighter depth of field control and more options in achieving wide angles as you get the 'natural' field of view - but as ChrisL has already points out, that will also knock out the use of your Sigma 10-20 as it either won't mount or else give a vignetted imaging circle on the sensor - cutting the effective resolution down by a significant amount.

captainpenguin
27 Feb 2013 - 1:55 PM

A few months ago I decided to try full frame and although intending to get a 5D I ended up with a 1Ds mk1, it only has a tiny LCD and anything above 800iso is unusable but the quality of the images especially the tonality more than makes up for that,I would say go for it

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2013 - 9:31 PM

Quote: The only clear difference/advantages [in some circumstances] are tighter depth of field control

As in what.

User_Removed
28 Feb 2013 - 11:47 AM

Paul tighter depth of field control allows a photographer more control of how much a subject is in focus compared to the background and other distractions.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7663 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes - in terms of creative control it's an advantage, but in some circumstances [for example when there isn't much light and you want all your image in focus: like landscapes with foreground detail or when you want to do a group shot with the country house behind in focus (not a problem today)] it can be a disadvantage.

It's nice to have the options and some compacts have tricks in software to fudge around the poor capability in this respect.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 28 Feb 2013 - 12:13 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2013 - 4:55 PM

Quote: Paul tighter depth of field control allows a photographer more control of how much a subject is in focus compared to the background and other distractions

This is the bit that is confusing me, a full frame camera will give you more depth of field at any given aperture compared to a crop sensor camera fitted with the same lens, but your saying that it gives you tighter control of shallow dof, it wont.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
28 Feb 2013 - 4:59 PM

Surely a smaller sensor gives you greater DOF? Hence why my G12 only goes down to F8...

Paul Morgan
28 Feb 2013 - 5:02 PM

Yeh but your not fitting that G12 with a dslr lens are you Smile

Go and check a dof calculator,

Compare you 5d against one of your crop dslr`s using the same lens.

Paul Morgan
28 Feb 2013 - 5:09 PM

This is what I`m getting at.

dof.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.