Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 40D Shutter problems.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

glsammy
glsammy  8195 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2008 - 12:22 AM

Canon seem to have a major problem with the shutter on the 40D camera. I know of six users that have the same problem, three of them have sent the camera back for a fix, but the problem still remains.
Mine has started to show the same symptoms, the shutter sticks open. The only way to release it is to take another shot and hope! So far that has worked but long term this could be a major problem.
I wondered if any users here have noticed anything?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Sep 2008 - 12:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

icemanonline
20 Sep 2008 - 12:35 AM

I had been looking at getting the 40D until I read about the problems you mention........and not just here!! Not impressed with Canon at the moment.........will stick with my Sony dslr at the mo............and use the compact Canon I have.

Good luck with it mate........really.

icemanonline

mark_delta
20 Sep 2008 - 8:47 AM

Funny that, I was stopped by a photographer in the street who noticed my gear, he wanted to ask me what setting stopped the shutter staying open on his 40d.
I think you may be right !

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Sep 2008 - 10:03 AM

Are you sure you havent got MLU selected, if as you say Canon had a major problem then I am sure it would be widespread knowledge by now Wink

wicksy
wicksy  879 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Sep 2008 - 10:26 AM

Thinking about abuying a 40d myself! Can anyone help me about where to find out more about these shutter problems, it isthe first I have heard about it.

Overread
Overread  63768 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2008 - 10:28 AM

I have to say this is the first time I have heard of them as well - Mirror Lock-Up does sound very similar to what the original 3 are describing. Resetting the camera to factory settings would disable that setting - although reading the manual would also let one know how to turn it on and off.
If this were a widespread problem I am sure I would have heard of it by now

edit - or Bulb mode - which would hole the shutter open rather than holding the mirror up - you could tell because the bulb mode lockup would mean you got overexposed shots whilst mirror lock up would just lock the viewing mirror up - the shutter would remain closed till the second pressing of the shutter

Last Modified By Overread at 20 Sep 2008 - 10:30 AM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2008 - 10:56 AM

it does sound like mirror lockup.
I have 40D and haven't got the problem.

glsammy
20 Sep 2008 - 11:01 AM

Quote: Are you sure you havent got MLU selected, if as you say Canon had a major problem then I am sure it would be widespread knowledge by now

Quite certain. The fault is very infrequent on mine so far. I can go for days taking over 1,000 shots without it showing, only for it to happen again the next day. Yesterday it happened during a continuous shot burst, the camera acted like the buffer was full, stopping after only four shots had been taken, then to start again perfectly OK for the next 10 shots. I know it's a sticking shutter fault as I'm left with a shot that's almost pure white. It's simply not reproducible on demand so I'm not yet prepared to send it back to Canon.
The fact I know of 6 users that have this similar fault surely points to it being a more widespread problem. I don't know that many photographers to make that normal!

Last Modified By glsammy at 20 Sep 2008 - 11:03 AM
Overread
20 Sep 2008 - 11:08 AM

Its not the hallmarks of shutter death approaching by any chance? I know that death by shutter failure is something that is not openly mentioned when on looks for a new DSLR (the idea that its got a limited lifespan). Could it be that you - or some of your 6 associates - have got near to the shutters estimated limit for shutter acuations?

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2008 - 11:11 AM

Quote: Its not the hallmarks of shutter death approaching by any chance? I know that death by shutter failure is something that is not openly mentioned when on looks for a new DSLR (the idea that its got a limited lifespan). Could it be that you - or some of your 6 associates - have got near to the shutters estimated limit for shutter acuations?

that would be some seriously heavy usage for a camera that should be good for 100 grand actuations.........

Overread
20 Sep 2008 - 11:14 AM

give me 250 days in a zoo and I could get 100,000 shots Smile
course I give no garantee of quality - but by the end they should be getting better!

Last Modified By Overread at 20 Sep 2008 - 11:14 AM
strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2008 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like a firmware problem. Not seen it on mine.

glsammy
20 Sep 2008 - 1:08 PM

Quote: Its not the hallmarks of shutter death approaching by any chance? I know that death by shutter failure is something that is not openly mentioned when on looks for a new DSLR (the idea that its got a limited lifespan). Could it be that you - or some of your 6 associates - have got near to the shutters estimated limit for shutter acuations?

Mine has done 11,500 odd shots.(Very odd!) Hardly at the end of it's rated life just yet!

Last Modified By glsammy at 20 Sep 2008 - 1:09 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2008 - 1:11 PM

did you update the firmware?

digipix76
digipix76  7577 forum posts England
20 Sep 2008 - 2:01 PM

Quote: Did you update the firmware?

I'd be interested to hear the answer! i wonder how many people start getting problems after a firmware update......its possible!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.