Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

canon 40d upgrade to a 60d

jingler 4 18
17 Jul 2011 8:12AM
hi all
i have a 40d and iam thinking of upgrading to a 60d.
i know all about the differences in specification etc but does it have a big leap in picture quality and iso quality
i will be using the same lenses as i have used on the 40d 17-40L, 70-300L and15-85

thanks in advance

jingler

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 136 England
17 Jul 2011 11:24AM
Picture quality is more a case of the quality of your lenses, use of tripod etc. Having said that when I had the same problem last year I opted to upgrade from the 40D to a 7D. Reading past posts I think the general view is to upgrade to a 5D mkII to work alongside your 40D.

Dave
17 Jul 2011 11:46AM
Jingler you may find my postings of interest to you, specailly if you use sigma 17-70 lens,
theduck 5 58
17 Jul 2011 5:25PM

Quote:Picture quality is more a case of the quality of your lenses, use of tripod etc. Having said that when I had the same problem last year I opted to upgrade from the 40D to a 7D. Reading past posts I think the general view is to upgrade to a 5D mkII to work alongside your 40D.

Dave

HI Dave, i use the 5d mkii at the moment and am thinking about getting a 40d second hand, could you tell me, in your opinion, how the 40d compliments the 5D mkii
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 136 England
17 Jul 2011 8:04PM

Quote:Picture quality is more a case of the quality of your lenses, use of tripod etc. Having said that when I had the same problem last year I opted to upgrade from the 40D to a 7D. Reading past posts I think the general view is to upgrade to a 5D mkII to work alongside your 40D.

Dave

HI Dave, i use the 5d mkii at the moment and am thinking about getting a 40d second hand, could you tell me, in your opinion, how the 40d compliments the 5D mkii

Hi Donald, I opted for the 7D in the end due to compatability of the lenses. The s lenses do not work on the full frame sensor.
If you take wildlife then the extra length you get from the 40d crop sensor will assist a lot. Your 5D will have better image quality and has a higher ISO performance. In answer to your question they would compliment each other very well because of the 2 types of sensors giving more versatility. But picture quality-wise please refer to my original comment about lenses.

Hope that helps,

Dave
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2011 8:56PM
Jingler, I don't think that would be a worthwhile upgrade. I think you'd not notice enough of a difference. However if you went for a 7D or 5D II then you would, especially in improved high ISO quality.
FrogTastic 5 52 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2011 11:12PM
Agreed, I would suggest the 7D for cropped or 5D mk2 for Fullframe.
Hugo 9 647 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2011 12:05AM
Well I have a 40d and don't see the 60d as much of a step forward - unless you do a lot of low light work and clearly the high ISO performance will be better. I'm waiting for the 5dMk3 or mk4 to come out - then the Mk 2 will be better priced second hand - and with a 24-70 2.8 to replaced my 17-55 2.8.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.