Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 40D viewfinder query, you can help if you have one ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pigsy
    pigsy  10 Scotland
    11 Dec 2007 - 12:07 AM

Hi Guys

Just powered on my new 40D and the focussing screen was not clipped in right resulting in the 9 red AF points all looking a bit weird in the viewfinder.

So I nervously sorted that, and it all looks okay.. ish, but my question is this. When you activate all 9 red AF points, is there a dull red smudge at the 12 o'clock position right above the top AF point ?
    There is on mine, but I'm not sure if this is right or if I still have a problem ?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Dec 2007 - 12:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    11 Dec 2007 - 12:29 AM

Well I would have taken it back rather than trying to fix it. It is not normal, but it could be just do to a fingerprint you left on the focus screen, try removing it and giving it a clean.

pigsy
    pigsy  10 Scotland
    11 Dec 2007 - 7:39 PM

Nope it's not that. I never touched the screen, it looks more like a flaw of some kind, but without someone else to tell me if their 40D has a 12 o'clock red fuzzy circle above the top AF square, I don't know.
    Can someone ? anyone help me ?

jason_e
    jason_e e2 Member 8jason_e vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2007 - 8:01 PM

Definitely no 12o'clock fuzz on mine, but I would not recomend taking the focusing screen out as i had a bug die on mine after about a week and I scratched mine getting it back with just my fingers.
    However I was not bothered that much as I wanted to change it for the screen that is lined to help composure. The best 20 I've ever spent, and you get a tool with it to make the job easy.
    But I agree with Cambirder, take it bach and say nothing.
    Regards
    Jason

pigsy
    pigsy  10 Scotland
    11 Dec 2007 - 8:13 PM

Guys, just found this link :
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419805

Lots, okay, all of the 40D owners on here have this same "problem" . So looks like it's a feature, rather than a problem ??

Anyone else care to comment ?

Alcor
    Alcor  635 forum posts Scotland
    11 Dec 2007 - 8:36 PM

Yea there is a slight smudge/reflection or something above the top point on my one. Hadnt even noticed until i actually looked for it.

p3asa
    p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
    12 Dec 2007 - 3:09 PM

I only ever use the centre point so had to switch it on but yes mine has the mark. Although when I say mark it is really a reflection because if you tilt the camera a wee bit it virtually diappears.

Steven.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    12 Dec 2007 - 8:18 PM

Its not just the 40D, just checked my 5D and I get that below the 6 O'clock AF point.

The only way you can notice though is to activate all sensors against a dark background. In real use the lights are on for such a short time you just can't see it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.