Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 5 D Mk II or Canon 1D Mk IV

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 8:25AM
I f i had a choice i would be going for the 1d as an all round great camera the only thing that puts me off slightly is the size of it but perfect for what i want it for, it does make sense to have the best lenses money can buy and the l lenses from canon are one of the best there is, very fast focusing and sharp, L lenses other than one high end sigma lens is all i own.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
4 Feb 2012 8:38AM

Quote:I f i had a choice i would be going for the 1d as an all round great camera the only thing that puts me off slightly is the size of it

If someone tries to mug you it doubles as a wicked blunt instrument. The MK II is the heaviest ever with its NiMH batteries. Stick an f2.8 telephoto on the front and you may as well be carrying a bazooka.
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 11:52AM
OK. I went from a 50D to the 1D after thinking long and hard about a 7D. IMHO the 5D isn't a logical upgrade for where your interests lie. Sure you will benefit from much better high iso performance but you are going to lose a lot in apparent focal length and have lower fps than your 50D. The 7D is aimed at sports and wildlife photographers with its twin processors and has similar features in AI servo customisation as the 1Dmk iv. Image quality in my opinion is no better than the 50D and although initally there were great claims about its high iso performance, most reports I have seen would suggest that there is only minimal improvement over the 50D. It does have a fast frame rate of 8fps. So to me your upgrade path is 7D or 1Dmk iv. If you can afford it I would say get the 1D mk iv. Image quality is superb and you won't be thinking of a further upgrade for a long long time! Instead of going for a round of golf take your camera for a walk instead.
MW8195 e2
6 2
4 Feb 2012 3:24PM
Steve - Thank you for your comments and what you say is totally logical. Looks like golf is the loser!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.