Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 500D

porty2003 e2
11 97 Scotland
25 Mar 2009 8:24AM
Canon unveils the new 500D.Details at DPreview

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

25 Mar 2009 8:26AM
Details here as well. Smile
porty2003 e2
11 97 Scotland
25 Mar 2009 8:37AM

Quote:Canon unveils the new 500D.Details at DPreview

Just ignore me!!,the second 'piece of news' i have posted this A.M. that EPZ already has featuredSmile.My excuse is I was on late shift last night and am just out of my bedWink.Now I will look and not speakSmile
5 Apr 2009 1:41PM
I've been waiting for this camera for ages and now it's here, I don't think I want it!!! I've got a 400D and really want to upgrade to something with liveview as I seem to take a lot of photos from strange angles meaning I'm either shooting blind or crawling about on the floor.
I know that when the camera actually hits the shops that it will be cheaper than the current 850 plus that it's on pre sale for, but I can't help thinking that I'm paying a premium for video, a function that doesn't interest me in the slightest.
I think I'm either going to buy a 450D, or save up a bit longer and get a 50D instead.
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
5 Apr 2009 3:41PM
What about the 40D, has live view, image quality is as good as the 50D. (we compared the two with the same lens a couple of weeks ago).
the 40D seems tp perform better at high ISO as well. That would be down to a lesser density of pixels.
I have a 40D and could not be happier with it!
Steve
5 Apr 2009 4:07PM
Well yes the 40D would be an option and a few quid cheaper than the 50D. Pixel count aside, is there any killer feature that I'd miss by going for the 40D?
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
5 Apr 2009 4:22PM
Far better live view screen on the 50D if its live view your intrested in

Brian..........................................
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
5 Apr 2009 4:28PM
Personally, I dont think so. As my wife will testify I am one of these "must always have the latest" types!
I work at a wellknown photographic shop so I have the opportunity to compare the the various models on offer.
I could not really find anything to justify upgrading from the 40D to the 50D.
There are the obvious changes such as the larger Mp count which I mentioned in my last reply.
The LCD screen is better and the menu system is clearer but thats about it really.
I think there is a slight difference in the way the live view works in that you can autofocus but thats not a necessity really.
5 Apr 2009 5:43PM
Thanks for your comments folks.

I am interested in live-view but any live-view is better than no live-view as I've got right now.

As I'd be moving up from the 400D, neither the screen or the menus worry me, as at worst they'll be similar to what I'm already familiar with.

As things stand there's about a 250GBP premium on the 50D which I can't justify based on the differences between the 2 cameras.

Thanks again.
From a 40D to 50D there is no justifiable upgrade features unless the screen is that much of an issue.

But since you'll be upgrading from a 400D, the XXD series cameras are well worth the money especially because of the fps and build quality. last december I bought a 50D to replace my 400D and haven't looked back since. The new menu systems will also introduce you to the menus that the 5D and 1D/1Ds series cameras use, which is more of a long term thing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.