Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 500d

XxPaulxX 8 260 England
25 Mar 2009 12:24PM
As one of the people interested in the video function and high iso performance of the 5d mk11, I wandered if anyone can suggest how this 500d would perform against the 5d mk11? Obviously the FF camera must offer the better overall quality(shouldn't it?) but what are your thoughts on this cameras abilities please folks?

I must admit, 870 will be a lot easier to find than 2300, so even at this ridiculously expensive moment in time, I may well be tempted by this new offering Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
25 Mar 2009 12:32PM
I don't think it is possible to comment until we see actual images or video footage from the camera. Anything else is purely speculation.

As for the cost, yes 870 is easier to find than 2300 but if you aren't tied to Canon then there are other similarly specced cameras for less money.
XxPaulxX 8 260 England
25 Mar 2009 12:44PM
I have a 400d, 40d and a couple of L lenses as well as some non L glass and a speedlite etx flash, so I am pretty much tied to Canon at the moment.

I understand what you're saying Stuart, but I'd be happy with any informed guesswork as I know there are many very knowledgeable people on this site who will be able to look at the specs and decifer them far more capably than I will ever be able to.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
25 Mar 2009 1:17PM
I notice they have a preview on DPReview now.
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
25 Mar 2009 1:32PM
i notice canon have finally got round to introducing a screen that can be used as a viewfinder - something previous EOS 450D, 400D, 350D etc has lacked compared to other brands that did have the feature.

camera looks nice and maybe in the next couple of months i too will find the cash though i still want a 1Ds mk III Grin
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 1:41PM
850 for an x00 camera, I would skip on it. @ 700 should be the list price.

It depends what you want, but 15mp strikes me as a waste on a crop camera, better to drop back to 10 or 12mp and lets have better dynamic range or lower high ISO noise.

And as for video, why not get a proper video camera, an SLR is not the correct shape or functionality.
25 Mar 2009 1:47PM

Quote:And as for video, why not get a proper video camera, an SLR is not the correct shape or functionality

So I keep telling CB!!! Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Mar 2009 1:51PM
A video camera with interchangeable lenses is a very expensive item indeed.

Also, you cannot get the depth of field effects with a consumer video camera, which is why amateur movie makers are very enthusiastic about the 5D Mk II and, indeed, the Nikon D90 - despite any perceived ergonomical issues.
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 2:27PM
The 500D appears to be a 50D sensor but using the DIGIC IV processor. The image quality should be very similar to the 50D. The 50D is very reliant of noise suppression using the in camera software for JPEG's or DPP for Raw files. Having said that the Canon noise suppression is very good. The 50D is visibly sharper than say the 40D at low ISO's but the the difference is hard to see at higher ISO's where the noise suppression softens the image. However, Canon seem to have a reasonable compromise between noise and sharpness. I have tested the 50D and 5D MkII and they are in a different league with the 5D MkII being clearly sharper and much less noisy at all ISO's.

Dave
XxPaulxX 8 260 England
25 Mar 2009 3:33PM
As CB has said, having the ability to produce a shallow dof on video appeals, though it's not essential.

One other possible use for the video function for me is for astrophotography. I am not sure I currently have the right software to convert the hd movie files in order that I will be able to stack them, but I'm sure it either is, or will be available. I realise a dedicated webcam would best suit astrophotography, but obviously I couldn't use it for any other type of photography, and I know I would be able to use the 500d(got another freebie wedding to do next year).

I agree with you on the price though John and feel this will drop at least 100 after a short period. It might even be worth waiting 6 or so months to see if there is a 60d in the pipeline Grin but I guess you could just go on waiting and waiting, so I might well take the plunge with this compromise item to see how it performs.

My 40d only goes to 3200iso so surely with this model going as high as 12800 it must perform better at 3200iso than my 40d, wouldn't you think Dave/John?
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 3:34PM
The 50D uses Digic IV, in fact I think it was the first of the Canon range to do so.

As for absolute sharpness, where it has been assessed on a per pixel basis on like for like RAW processing the 50D is softer than the 40D and 30D etc that came before, a trend that has continued since the 20D. Go to DPRview if you want to see the hysteria their review was met with when they did some back to back testing.

So compared to 450D, with a top notch lens, expect it to record more detail, but with less dynamic range than the 450D at low ISO, and it may well record less detail at high ISO if you let the default processing take over.

And if you use the kit lenses, then I would say the 450D or even 400D before may well turn in just as good results, (possibly better dynamic range) buyer beware of diminishing returns. Its a trend we can expect to see more of as the manufacturers continue to cram more pixels onto sensors, can the standard lenses keep up?

The Sony A300 and 350 look to return pretty close to the same resolvable detail results when using the kit lens, and the lower resolution one does better at high ISO. So more is less, Smile

As for 40D and 50D, I do not think the 50D out performs the old camera at high ISO. With a good lens at low ISO it does, and the screen is better and micro adjust are better. So I see some improvements, but not a convincing effort as for me (and it is a personal observation) I want lower ISO noise or greater dynamic range. Number of pixels is not an issue. And why did they drop one of the 3 very handy custom settings on the dial for numpty mode you cannot program.

Or even better how about a new AF module, one with the helper AP points of the 5D for example as well as the all cross sensors. I can see quite a few ways of improving the x0D cameras , resolution is low on my list. Pick up a D300 and you want some of the AF features and sealing features, but with faster AF processing than the D300 has.

Pick up a Sony A700 and you think in-body IS as well as IS lenses, best of all worlds.

So I would update lots of it, re-map that stupid direct print button. I do like my camera, but would upgrade lots before I went MP hunting. Smile
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
25 Mar 2009 4:47PM

Quote:I notice they have a preview on DPReview now.

I notice we have one here now too. link
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
26 Mar 2009 11:03AM
Thanks Stuart,

for the link you provided.

The review suggests that the new 500D isn't a 450D replacement, yet it appears to be a better specified camera.

Strawman,

according to your post above, it would please my wife to know, that I would probably be wasting money in acquiring one.

The movie mode I probably wouldn't use, as I bought a new video camera at Christmas. High ISO speeds I rarely use and as for frames per second, well I use single shot mode. I already have 3 L zoom lenses, so the 450D should still suit me fine.

Frank.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
26 Mar 2009 11:31AM

Quote:850 for an x00 camera, I would skip on it.

what silly price!
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
26 Mar 2009 11:39AM
i've heard it said that the 500D is a camera with expensive camera features such as the 1Ds mk III in a cheaper body so people with less budget can afford it but though i will possibly end up buying a 500D when it comes out - it feels in a way a bit like the porsche boxter compared to a porsche 911 - a boxter is nice but people think "hmm couldnt afford a 911 then"

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.