Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 50d & flash - can anyone help?

Juditha 4 11 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2013 10:06PM
I've got a Canon 50d. I'm using a Metz Mecablitz 36 af-5 flashgun.
I think I'm doing something very wrong - in AV mode, the camera is still setting a shutter speed of several seconds at f5.6 even though the flash is mounted, on & fires. The only way I can get a vaguely decently exposed photo in normal indoor conditions is to use green box mode which I don't want to do.
I normally shoot landscape, but have been asked to take some photos at a party tomorrow evening, and am feeling very inadequate!
Can anybody help?
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
14 Jun 2013 10:18PM
If you go into the cameras custom functions menu you will find set sync speed...set it to 1/250 fixed and this will give you what you need.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
14 Jun 2013 10:20PM
One option is to set one of the custom functions on the camera so the shutter speed will default to 1/200 sec when a flashgun is used in Aperture Priority mode. A better option though is to leave the settings as they are and choose aperture priority when you want to record the ambient light in combination with the flash exposure, although as you've discovered, if the ambient light levels are low a lengthy exposure will result.
When you want a faster shutter speed and the scene to be lit just by the flash, just switch the camera to manual mode and choose whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, i.e. 1/200 sec,etc. etc.
14 Jun 2013 10:45PM
Thanks for replying.
I've just tried what you suggested lawbert, it says it can't display that menu as the flash is incompatible - though I've re-checked the specs of Metz's website and it lists the two as being compatible.
Perhaps manual mode will be the way to go - a bit lacking in confidence, but I'm sure I'll get better at it.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
15 Jun 2013 10:05AM
Make sure you have the Metz flash set to e-ttl mode & set the camera to shutter priority.
indemnity 6 331
15 Jun 2013 2:50PM
Is it a Canon compatible flash unit? Although a 36 af-5, they do have different types.

Alternatively use the camera and flash in manual mode.
15 Jun 2013 3:44PM
The indications in the manual are that it is compatible, but it would appear not to be.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
15 Jun 2013 6:33PM
Hello Juditha

I used to have a 50d and thinking back there is a menu where you can control the flash via the cameras menu which wont work with the metz.
If you set up as I said by setting the sync speed to 1/250 fixed in the custom function menu
Set the camera to aperture priority and select whatever aperture you want and set the flash to ETTL on the flash itself.
This will give you the opportunity to select your depth of field with a constant 1/250 shutter speed and the flash will automatically adjust its power output to the aperture you have set.
Im sure this will work
mrcal 10 1.0k
15 Jun 2013 8:32PM

Quote:I've got a Canon 50d. I'm using a Metz Mecablitz 36 af-5 flashgun.
I think I'm doing something very wrong - in AV mode, the camera is still setting a shutter speed of several seconds at f5.6 even though the flash is mounted, on & fires. The only way I can get a vaguely decently exposed photo in normal indoor conditions is to use green box mode which I don't want to do.
I normally shoot landscape, but have been asked to take some photos at a party tomorrow evening, and am feeling very inadequate!
Can anybody help?
Thanks

In AV mode, the camera will use expose for the ambient light and then use the flash to fill the subject. The description of several seconds sounds right.

Switch to TV (shutter priority) and set your shutter speed accordingly - anything up to 1/250.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.