Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 50D

SandyMiller 8 927 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2008 11:34AM

Quote:It's like the start of a Formula 1 race.

On toy go-carts perhaps...Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KatieR e2
10 6.2k 6
22 Aug 2008 11:36AM
Come on now, get with the young people Sandy!

Grin
22 Aug 2008 11:43AM
I'd probably have to grow up a bit first....
KatieR e2
10 6.2k 6
22 Aug 2008 11:59AM
Enough with the Olympics...

can someone explain what "AF fine tuning" involves?
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2008 12:10PM
The AF system is a mystery, but in a simple way it works as follows. (well its my understanding I could be wrong)

1 The camera measure the info from the AF sensor that tells it how far out of focus it is
2 The lens tells the camera (or the camera has a database of lens info) about its focal length, and at what point in its focus range it is.
3 The camera works out how much to move the lens to change its focus.

This is a tad open loop, and if your camera AF sensor is a little bit out, or the lens calibration is a bit off then the point the camera aims for may not be perfect. You can sometimes see this on opticaly fast lenses as front fous or back focus, or as a lens that take a couple of half shutter presses to get to the perfect focus.

The micro adjustment allows you to tell the camera to adjust the lens by a litte to overcome these focusing performance offsets.

I think I have not noticed it much because
1 I do not own expensive optical fast lenses
2 I tend to twitch the shutter a lot while focusing, i.e. first half press to get metering and see whats in the viefinder, 2nd press to confirm after adjusting composition or metering. 3rd press to take photo.

but of you do a lot of action etc photography that could be good.
KatieR e2
10 6.2k 6
22 Aug 2008 12:13PM
So how do you imagine a fine tuning system will work? I can't imagine what this function will actually be.
strawman e2
22 Aug 2008 12:16PM
I believe its on the "1" sereis already. I assume you AF the lens then adjust it to be correct and push a button to tell the camera this iwhere it should be.

The best would be to focus at a variety of distances and correct at tthem all and build a calibration curve, but that perhaps a bit too techy.
KatieR e2
10 6.2k 6
22 Aug 2008 12:17PM
Ah I see I am well behind the times as usual.

I'm still getting used to being able to change the ISO between pictures Smile
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2008 12:54PM
It would certinally be a surprise if Canon release a 50D now - espically with those specs.

It seems 6months to early, and to be honest, not a huge advance from the 40D. OK, moving from 10 to 15 MP is a fair jump, but the realy problem of the 40D vs the D300 was never the pixel count, but rather the number of AF points.

Be interesting to see what sort of image quality they can crank out of a 15MP APS-C chip... If they can keep the noise low (and don't wash out the detail with loads of software noise reduction), then it could be a smart move by Canon.

Is Canon rushing the 50D early beacuse they have decided to delay the 5D2? (Cannot turn up to Photokina with nothing new to show after all)

Maybe Canon are leeking details on a '50D' to put people off the scent of the real release?
strawman e2
22 Aug 2008 1:14PM
Or has been rumoured, canon intend to split the range up a bit and bring out the much specualted 3D.

So you have 40D and the 50D (a full frame 40D) and that leaves space for the 3D to take the higher functionality role similar to the D700. The D50 would be the camera to push a more price agressive full frame for enthiasts (**edit or those that can spell).

All speculation and wishfull thinking Smile
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2008 1:42PM
Trouble is John, there is a problem with the naming convention - If the 50D is not a successor to the 40D but a separate line - what will the 40D successor be called?

It could be that Canon are trying to be a bit sneaky here - and jumble up the release schedules a bit so that the three main manufactures (Canon, Nikon and Sony) don't all release competing models at once, as happened with the 40D, A700 and D300.

*IF* (and I mean IF) they can show a clear Image quality advantage with this new 15 MP sensor, then that could be a useful trump card against the D300 and A700 which are now a year old.
strawman e2
22 Aug 2008 1:55PM
I see your point Matt, but I wonder if we are not at the maturing phase of the sensor technology. It will be easy to integrate measurement circuits, and possible the HDR or Video enhancing features into the sensor, but can you keep on pushing the number of pixels without running into dynamic range and high ISO issues.

I think it can be argued that Canon have worked hard to give the pixels in the new 10 and 12mp sensor the same performance as the ones in the 8mp sensor that the 20D had.

And thinking of diffraction and lenses, can we keep on pushing more and more pixels into crop sensors? I could well be wrong. After all the K20D has 14mp does it not?

And as a 40D owner, I would value a camera with greater dynamic range, or higher max ISO range with lower noise, or improved focusing more than more pixels.

But it is all speculation on my part, and perhaps I am not a normal user. At the moment I still find 6fps too fast. Its like getting on a modern 600cc or bigger bike and twisting the throttle too fast, the first reaction is woah slow down Smile
KatieR e2
10 6.2k 6
22 Aug 2008 3:39PM
Awwww, nothing's really happened... hmmph.

50D another day
strawman e2
22 Aug 2008 3:47PM

Quote:Awwww, nothing's really happened... hmmph.

I helped my eldest child get a car today, does that count.

And before anyone says it, he has worked part time and saved up for the past 2 years, plus will pay for running etc himself.
22 Aug 2008 3:57PM
It....

Edit - too late

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.