Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 50D RAW and Photoshop CS2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
JASPERIMAGE
25 Sep 2008 - 9:57 PM

Add a topic!I have just acquired my Canon 50D and shot as usual in RAW. Now find that Photoshop CS2 does not recognise the images so cannot do a thing with them apart from view as JPEG's.

Anybody know where I can get a Software Download to CS2, I cannot find same via Adobe or Canon.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Sep 2008 - 9:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2008 - 10:09 PM

Look in your 50D box and you will find a copy of Canon DPP, its a half decent RAW converter and it will allow you to get to a TIFF output. Adobe will tell you to buy CS4 to get support for your camera, some time.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2008 - 10:11 PM

You can't. CS2 cannot use the latest versions of Adobe Camera RAW. In fact I don't think the 50D is yet supported by Adobe at all and when it is it will only be in CS4, Lightroom 2 and possibly Elements 7.

You'll have to use Canon's own software for now (unless anyone knows better)

see here for info that ACR 5 will not be compatible with CS3

User_Removed
25 Sep 2008 - 10:13 PM

Doubt if any will have the correct Camera profile as yet.... apart from the above Strawman's post

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Sep 2008 - 10:14 PM
JASPERIMAGE
25 Sep 2008 - 10:29 PM

Quote: Look in your 50D box and you will find a copy of Canon DPP, its a half decent RAW converter and it will allow you to get to a TIFF output. Adobe will tell you to buy CS4 to get support for your camera, some time.

I did download this onto my computer, but I am very much a man who loves Photoshop, which is the best and I am very much a HDR man.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2008 - 10:35 PM

Well if you like HDR then Photomatix is better, and if you want RAW processing, then I would say DPP is better than the RAW interface that ships with CS2. So now you have the chance to discover the better life that is outside Adobe. Smile

JASPERIMAGE
25 Sep 2008 - 11:33 PM

Quote:

Well if you like HDR then Photomatix is better, and if you want RAW processing, then I would say DPP is better than the RAW interface that ships with CS2. So now you have the chance to discover the better life that is outside Adobe.

Re this, Photomatix does not even work with these RAW Files, I like to sort the RAW's in Photoshop, I truly think that Photoshop is the best tool for this and I often adjust each RAW before HDR process in Photoshop, which I think betters Photomatix and one gets a better picuure at end.

Thanks

link

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 12:05 AM

So there ya go........Just get yourself a copy of CS4.....Job Done...Smile

JASPERIMAGE
26 Sep 2008 - 1:29 AM

Well, I have done an image via Canon RAW software then onto Photoshop, please view on my Gallery,

NEWMACHAR - SQUARE BALE SUNSET

I will prob upgrade to CS3 or 4.

Thanks

Brian

MarkoPolo
MarkoPolo  5
13 Oct 2008 - 4:15 PM

Sorry to say that ... not at all.
There is an Adobe RAW plugin in beta state that allows me to work with the FANTASTIC 50D in RAW format.
Camera_Raw_4_6_091708_(beta).zip
The non beta 4.5 plugin DOES NOT allow you to work with 50D RAW files.

regards,

MP

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
13 Oct 2008 - 5:57 PM

Actually Adobe have now released the full version of ACR 4.6 with support for the 50D but this is only for CS3 and will be the last ACR update for CS3. After that you'll have to upgrade to CS4!

Simon

JASPERIMAGE
13 Oct 2008 - 6:22 PM

Quote: Actually Adobe have now released the full version of ACR 4.6 with support for the 50D but this is only for CS3 and will be the last ACR update for CS3. After that you'll have to upgrade to CS4!

Simon

Well I get CS4 on 15/10, so hopefully all will be well.

PMeldrum
PMeldrum  9480 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 - 8:48 PM

Quote: After that you'll have to upgrade to CS4!

Or use Lightroom 2 Wink (as per Henchard's comment)

Last Modified By PMeldrum at 13 Oct 2008 - 8:49 PM
MarkoPolo
MarkoPolo  5
13 Oct 2008 - 9:16 PM

As I said, the beta plugin WORKS with CS3.

Besides, for those that use Photomatix Pro, the support team is already working on this issue, and they have just told me that the beta 3.1 version (released yesterday) also works with 50D raw files for HDR processing.
You can find it at
http://www.hdrsoft.com/download/beta/win31.html

regards,

MP

JASPERIMAGE
13 Oct 2008 - 9:31 PM

Quote: As I said, the beta plugin WORKS with CS3.

Besides, for those that use Photomatix Pro, the support team is already working on this issue, and they have just told me that the beta 3.1 version (released yesterday) also works with 50D raw files for HDR processing.
You can find it at
http://www.hdrsoft.com/download/beta/win31.html

regards,

MP

I am not that keen on Photomatix HDR, but I do use their Shadow and Highlight blending, I always shoot AEB, 1 up, 1 down etc with Camera fixed tight on Tripod, I tend to use 1up and 1 down image to make picture then transfer to photoshop to add other details etc. I am very keen to try out CS4 HDR to see how it goes.

Brian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.