Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 50D versus Nikon D90 - Which is the best??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2008 - 2:38 PM

Yes the 40D that runs for a while. Iexpect the 50D will fall to 750, and D90 fall to 600 but that is a guess. and the 100D has to fall to about 300 IMHO. BTW does the 1000D not come with a lens for that 400?

Last Modified By strawman at 27 Aug 2008 - 2:40 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2008 - 2:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevekhart
27 Aug 2008 - 2:41 PM

Quote: BTW does the 1000D not come with a lens for that 400?

Thanks John, corrected.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2008 - 2:45 PM

If you add in Pentax, Sony and Olympus you have a massive choice.

and to think about 5 year back when I bought my 300D the choice was Sigma SD9 or 300D for under 1000. small wonder these debates rage, the choice is so much bigger, and in many ways the different brands are closer together in terms of features.

If you wander into photography without existing lenses etc how do you pick?

mipettin
mipettin  10884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2008 - 3:15 PM

Steve

That's a great list comparing the various Canon and Nikon cameras.

A D300 at 950 is incredible value - though I wonder what the launch price was. Wasn't the launch price around 1300.

Looking at your summary the 5D replacement and entry level full frame camera is due an update. Extrapolating the sensor for the 50D for full frame suggests 18 megapixels and my guess for Photokina is a 5D Mkii and a 1D Mkiv both with the new digic processor.

Aside from the strides in ISO Nikon have upped the standard for focusing and in parallel Canon suffered bad press for it's focusing problems on the 1D Mkiii. I genuinely think that Canon have made big strides with the focusing but we'll soon see.

The issue of back focusing lenses might also be addressed by the ability to micro adjust / calibrate lenses. All in all thank you Nikon and we still have to see the reputed full frame Sony.

Pentax also have raised the bar with their cameras and all in all exciting times for enthusiasts and professonals alike

Martin

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2008 - 3:41 PM

Exciting, but confusing too!

mipettin
mipettin  10884 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2008 - 3:51 PM

Confusing as so many people already judging the new releases without any real world testing!

User_Removed
27 Aug 2008 - 3:57 PM

Quote: Confusing as so many people already judging the new releases without any real world testing!

True....... but the new models are hardly going to be worse than the old. Smile

I don't think anyone is 'judging' just discussing and winding up Wink

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2008 - 7:28 PM

Quote: Confusing as so many people already judging the new releases without any real world testing!

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, everyone knows that Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2008 - 1:01 AM

A high ISO 'shoot out' between all the recently released DSLRs would be very interesting.

Forget the megapixies and the gimmicks. In digital photography ISO is just as much a parameter as aperture and shutter speed.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
JASPERIMAGE
25 Sep 2008 - 2:26 PM

HI ALL, I AM WAITING TO TAKE DELIVERY OF MY CANON 50D, TO UPGRADE FROM MY 30D. AS I HAVE 4 CANON FIT LENS I WOULD NOT CHANGE TO ANY OTHER MAKE OF CAMERA, VERY MUCH A CANON MAN AND THE RISE FROM 8MG TO 15MG AND OTHER IMPROVEMENTS I COULD NOT RESIST.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2008 - 2:38 PM

Quote: Crazy how there's so few of us who realise how important that is. Yet plenty of folks hankering after faster wide aperture lenses, image stabilised lenses, more powerful flash guns.

It depends on use doesn't it? A higher ISO is no use on sending background out of focus if lens is an f/6.3 or worse. So faster lenses are still important.

Or being able to use a TC and retain AF on a slower lens. Faster lenses have their use just as being able to use a higher ISO.

User_Removed
25 Sep 2008 - 5:22 PM

I
Quote: t depends on use doesn't it? A higher ISO is no use on sending background out of focus if lens is an f/6.3 or worse. So faster lenses are still important.

Or being able to use a TC and retain AF on a slower lens. Faster lenses have their use just as being able to use a higher ISO.

But ISO's not as heavy on the wrist Smile

csurry
25 Sep 2008 - 5:27 PM

Quote: But ISO's not as heavy on the wrist

Didn't realise you had limp wrists Col Wink

User_Removed
25 Sep 2008 - 5:32 PM

Not when holding a pint.Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Sep 2008 - 5:32 PM
csurry
25 Sep 2008 - 5:47 PM

Quote: Not when holding a pint.

Anything else you want to mention or shall we leave it there? Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.