Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 50D versus Nikon D90 - Which is the best??

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2008 2:38PM
Yes the 40D that runs for a while. Iexpect the 50D will fall to 750, and D90 fall to 600 but that is a guess. and the 100D has to fall to about 300 IMHO. BTW does the 1000D not come with a lens for that 400?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2008 2:41PM

Quote:BTW does the 1000D not come with a lens for that 400?

Thanks John, corrected.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2008 2:45PM
If you add in Pentax, Sony and Olympus you have a massive choice.

and to think about 5 year back when I bought my 300D the choice was Sigma SD9 or 300D for under 1000. small wonder these debates rage, the choice is so much bigger, and in many ways the different brands are closer together in terms of features.

If you wander into photography without existing lenses etc how do you pick?
mipettin 10 884 2 Scotland
27 Aug 2008 3:15PM
Steve

That's a great list comparing the various Canon and Nikon cameras.

A D300 at 950 is incredible value - though I wonder what the launch price was. Wasn't the launch price around 1300.

Looking at your summary the 5D replacement and entry level full frame camera is due an update. Extrapolating the sensor for the 50D for full frame suggests 18 megapixels and my guess for Photokina is a 5D Mkii and a 1D Mkiv both with the new digic processor.

Aside from the strides in ISO Nikon have upped the standard for focusing and in parallel Canon suffered bad press for it's focusing problems on the 1D Mkiii. I genuinely think that Canon have made big strides with the focusing but we'll soon see.

The issue of back focusing lenses might also be addressed by the ability to micro adjust / calibrate lenses. All in all thank you Nikon and we still have to see the reputed full frame Sony.

Pentax also have raised the bar with their cameras and all in all exciting times for enthusiasts and professonals alike

Martin
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
27 Aug 2008 3:41PM
Exciting, but confusing too!
mipettin 10 884 2 Scotland
27 Aug 2008 3:51PM
Confusing as so many people already judging the new releases without any real world testing!
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
27 Aug 2008 3:57PM

Quote:Confusing as so many people already judging the new releases without any real world testing!

True....... but the new models are hardly going to be worse than the old. Smile

I don't think anyone is 'judging' just discussing and winding up Wink
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
27 Aug 2008 7:28PM

Quote:Confusing as so many people already judging the new releases without any real world testing!

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, everyone knows that Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Aug 2008 1:01AM
A high ISO 'shoot out' between all the recently released DSLRs would be very interesting.

Forget the megapixies and the gimmicks. In digital photography ISO is just as much a parameter as aperture and shutter speed.
JASPERIMAGE 8 55 1 Scotland
25 Sep 2008 2:26PM
HI ALL, I AM WAITING TO TAKE DELIVERY OF MY CANON 50D, TO UPGRADE FROM MY 30D. AS I HAVE 4 CANON FIT LENS I WOULD NOT CHANGE TO ANY OTHER MAKE OF CAMERA, VERY MUCH A CANON MAN AND THE RISE FROM 8MG TO 15MG AND OTHER IMPROVEMENTS I COULD NOT RESIST.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Sep 2008 2:38PM

Quote:Crazy how there's so few of us who realise how important that is. Yet plenty of folks hankering after faster wide aperture lenses, image stabilised lenses, more powerful flash guns.

It depends on use doesn't it? A higher ISO is no use on sending background out of focus if lens is an f/6.3 or worse. So faster lenses are still important.

Or being able to use a TC and retain AF on a slower lens. Faster lenses have their use just as being able to use a higher ISO.
25 Sep 2008 5:22PM
I
Quote:t depends on use doesn't it? A higher ISO is no use on sending background out of focus if lens is an f/6.3 or worse. So faster lenses are still important.

Or being able to use a TC and retain AF on a slower lens. Faster lenses have their use just as being able to use a higher ISO.

But ISO's not as heavy on the wrist Smile
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Sep 2008 5:27PM

Quote:But ISO's not as heavy on the wrist

Didn't realise you had limp wrists Col Wink
25 Sep 2008 5:32PM
Not when holding a pint.Smile
csurry 12 9.2k 92
25 Sep 2008 5:47PM

Quote:Not when holding a pint.

Anything else you want to mention or shall we leave it there? Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.