Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 52mm drop in filter holder

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    doublechicane
    30 Dec 2013 - 8:45 PM

Hi there, can anyone tell me the maximum filter thickness the Canon 52mm drop in filter housing will take for my 300mm 2.8l usm is lens. Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Dec 2013 - 8:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2013 - 6:23 AM

don't get your question , what's wrong with your canon one ?

doublechicane
    31 Dec 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for taking the interest Colin. What I mean is Canon do a threaded drop in filter carrier which allowsyou to use muliple screw in filters. If you view the item at wex they show the carrier stating that it will only take slim filters, but no info on the maximum thickness.

If you type in Canon 52mm drop in filters and scroll down you will see the item priced at I believe 109 .00 pounds.

Thanks again for your time. Del

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    31 Dec 2013 - 10:50 AM

This doesn't answer your question, but if you haven't already bought the holder Amazon have it for 99.99.

I think you'll find that filters like the Hoya Pro 1 series all have fairly slim mounts and should be ok. If you've already bought the holder, you could measure the thickness of the included filter and the check the specs of any filters you intend to buy.....failing that, I would suggest you ring Canon for advice.

Good luck!!

Last Modified By rogerfry at 31 Dec 2013 - 10:50 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mikehit
    mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2013 - 10:54 AM

I believe that any quality slimline filter will work (the sort used on wide angle lenses to prevent vignetting), but Wex should be able to advise on that - or at the very least have a returns policy if it doesn't fit. But if you are wanting to use a polarising filter it is best to go with Canon because they are designed to adjust the polariser with the filter installed.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2013 - 11:40 AM

well i have been looking & can't find any info about size , the only thing you could do is measure the one in the lens , but when you look at 52mm filters they don't say how thick they are . you will have to phone & ask. if you really want one i would go for a canon one , when you come to sell i bet you will nearly get back what you paid for it because there don't seem to be any for sale .

doublechicane
    31 Dec 2013 - 6:29 PM

[quote]This doesn't answer your question, but if you haven't already bought the holder Amazon have it for 99.99.

I think you'll find that filters like the Hoya Pro 1 series all have fairly slim mounts and should be ok. If you've already bought the holder, you could measure the thickness of the included filter and the check the specs of any filters you intend to buy.....failing that, I would suggest you ring Canon for advice.

Good luck!!

thanks for your help and happy shooting in 2014

doublechicane
    31 Dec 2013 - 6:30 PM

[quote]I believe that any quality slimline filter will work (the sort used on wide angle lenses to prevent vignetting), but Wex should be able to advise on that - or at the very least have a returns policy if it doesn't fit. But if you are wanting to use a polarising filter it is best to go with Canon because they are designed to adjust the polariser with the filter installed.

Thanks for your response.

keithh
    keithh  1022818 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2013 - 7:25 PM

Do what most people do with their drop-ins......drop them in the nearest drawer and forget about them.

mikehit
    mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2013 - 8:00 PM

I thought the lens was set up so that the drop-in filter was needed for accurate focus?

keithh
    keithh  1022818 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2013 - 8:56 PM

Just an extra dust stopper. Most people, me included, would have a clear 'protection' filter in there and the box of filters that come with it, gets put to be side. But I've shot on many many occasions with no filter.

ARI
    ARI  11500 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jan 2014 - 12:23 PM

For what it is worth, I use the drop in filter, got it around 2001 for used with a 600f4. I use a standard Hoya 52mm multicoated UV (no such thing as pro slim line filters then) and never replaced it since. occasionally, a remove and dust. U must have the filter in place (gel or glass) as this can affect focussing issues and also prevents debris getting into the glass train through the slot. Imho you do not need a slimline glass. My old standard multi coated Hoya still soldiers on. Get what ever the equiv. of good multi coated.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.