Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 5D - broken mirror

MikeA 10 1.2k England
11 Sep 2011 12:04PM
"Canon has learned that in rare occurrences the main mirror of some EOS 5D digital SLR cameras may fall off, due to deterioration in the strength of adhesion, and is now offering a free fix to the problem via Canon Service Centres."

One more rare occurrence to add to the list :-((

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Sep 2011 12:12PM
I don't have the camera, but in the last few weeks there have been articles and letters about this in the Amateur Photographer mag. It does seem to be other than a rare occurrence, unfortunately.
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
11 Sep 2011 12:49PM

Quote:"Canon has learned that in rare occurrences the main mirror of some EOS 5D digital SLR cameras may fall off, due to deterioration in the strength of adhesion, and is now offering a free fix to the problem via Canon Service Centres."

Just as a matter of interest, what is the first digit in the serial number and roughly how many shots has the camera taken? I've got an early one starting with 1, but it's been lightly used and I haven't had any problem with it so far (touching wood and typing one-handed!)
MikeA 10 1.2k England
11 Sep 2011 1:54PM

Quote:"Canon has learned that in rare occurrences the main mirror of some EOS 5D digital SLR cameras may fall off, due to deterioration in the strength of adhesion, and is now offering a free fix to the problem via Canon Service Centres."

Just as a matter of interest, what is the first digit in the serial number and roughly how many shots has the camera taken? I've got an early one starting with 1, but it's been lightly used and I haven't had any problem with it so far (touching wood and typing one-handed!)

Hi, serial No starts 1430.... SHUTTER BROKE at 49K actuations, not sure what it is without processing the last lot of images but must be in the region of 70-80K.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2011 5:55PM
Are these 5d's now called mirror-less cameras like the olympus pen E-P3 Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Sep 2011 6:03PM

Quote:Are these 5d's now called mirror-less cameras like the olympus pen E-P3 Smile

Grin
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2011 9:53AM
It's a pain in the rear end if it's your only camera, but Canon do offer a free repair. Just takes a few days
MikeA 10 1.2k England
12 Sep 2011 10:28AM

Quote:It's a pain in the rear end if it's your only camera, but Canon do offer a free repair. Just takes a few days

Just got notification from H. Lehmann Ltd to send it for free repair, not my only camera I have mk2 but it is one I use when I want to leave a camera out doors for night shots.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.