Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D 2 + 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

justin c
justin c  104537 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2012 - 6:56 PM

Quote: I have just come back home with the 7D, just learn its ways is the next thing

Enjoy the new camera Smile

One thing to keep in mind when trying out your new camera is the raw files may initially look a little softer and noisier than your used to with your 5D II, don't be put off by this though, once they've been processed and sharpened, and printed, if that's what you prefer, they'll look excellent.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Mar 2012 - 6:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6555 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2012 - 8:21 PM

The first couple of trial shots I thought exactly that Justin, I have not had time to process them yet so I am glad you have reassured me, thanks for all your input.

mikehit
mikehit  56748 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2012 - 9:56 PM

One mistake people commonly made when the 7D came out was processing the 7D with the same settings as the 5D and then saying the 7D was not as good. You need to treat them both on their merits.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6555 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks, will do

iannidan
iannidan  665 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Mar 2012 - 11:14 AM

its more about field craft and knowing your subject than the camera, if you can get close enough you wont need the crop factor of the 7d, the 5d would be ok. if you look at someone like andy rouse he uses full frame nikons at 12 mp, his favourite lenses are the 200-400 and 28-300.

gary_d
10 Mar 2012 - 2:44 PM

Comparing me to Andy Rouse is like comparing a reliant robin with a lotus, come on horses for course's, but I take your point.

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 5:15 PM

Quote: The 7D when you need frame the frame rate and extra reach. The 5D II when for when the light levels drop.
A jacket with a large pocket means you can switch between the two in an instant. I always carry both and switch between them constantly, for the reasons mentioned above.

Where can I buy one of these jackets? You can never have enough big pockets Smile

mikemarita
12 Mar 2012 - 4:32 PM

Quote: I have just come back home with the 7D, just learn its ways is the next thing

Enjoy the new camera Smile

One thing to keep in mind when trying out your new camera is the raw files may initially look a little softer and noisier than your used to with your 5D II, don't be put off by this though, once they've been processed and sharpened, and printed, if that's what you prefer, they'll look excellent.

Can you explain what you mean by processing and sharpening raw files in relation to the 7D? I am thinking of buying one.

gary_d
12 Mar 2012 - 6:05 PM

When you shoot in raw with any camera the file is exactly as shot and no in camera processing has been applied so you have to process them yourself in raw software that will come with the camera or you can use other software for instance adobe camera raw.

If you are not familiar with raw you can of course shoot in JPG and you have a usable file straight from camera, but I strongly recommend you learn raw as you can do so much more with the image than with JPG.

gary

mikemarita
13 Mar 2012 - 7:13 AM

Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.