Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D 2 help requested please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnp
    johnp  9135 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:17 PM

Help needed please! I'm in a different country from the instruction book. I seem to have pressed a button I shouldn't have and can't fix it.
    The lowest ISO I can select is 200. To the left of the selected ISO on the top plate display it says ISO D+
    Can anyone suggest how I get back to lower ISO please?
    Many thanks
    John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:24 PM

did you have the highlight tone priority on? If so, turn it off.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Kris_Dutson
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:34 PM

Not a bad thing anyway as Canon optimise their sensors to give the least noise at iso 200 as do the other manufacturers.....

...so I'm told.

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 16 Apr 2011 - 9:35 PM
    johnp
    johnp  9135 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:35 PM

Bless you, Coleslaw! Camera now operating as desired
    John

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:37 PM

Not sure, Kris.
    I read that Highlight tone priority causes noise in the shadow area, though I have no idea if that is true or not.

Kris_Dutson
    16 Apr 2011 - 9:46 PM

Me neither Cole, I was just refering to general use with none of the myriad enhancements switched on. Smile

DuncanDisorderly

Nikon has a base ISO of 200 - Canon is 100.

The detailed reviews show that on the 5DII, ISO 100 has better signal to noise ratio than ISO 200.
    On the other hand, there is very little difference in the available dynamic range and occasionally someone advocates using ISO 200 instead of ISO 100; but that's a different story.

DuncanDisorderly

It would be interesting to know why; but your guess is not backed up by the DxO results (see link in my previous post)

newfocus
    newfocus  7644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2011 - 10:25 PM

Chris, from what I remember, highlight tone priority effectively underexposes one stop by reducing the ISO then scales up the result. That would explain why it prevents ISO 100 being selected.

On a general note on noise vs ISO, I did some testing on long exposure (15 min plus) night shots a year or so back with the 5DII and decided that on a practical level, ISO 200 was optimal (no noticeable increase in noise over ISO 100 and allowed me to select more useful apertures around f/8 for those shots). In good light, I still shoot ISO 100 becaue more controlled tests than I was doing have shown it does have a slight noise advantage.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2011 - 11:16 PM

to my understanding the camera underexposes the image and then applies a new tone curve to the resulting capture that adds a full stop of compensation to the shadow areas but the compensation reduces as the captured data rises so to simplify you can think of it as removing up to a stop from the highlights, but mid-tones and shadows are as exposed.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.