Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 5D 2 help requested please.

johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 9:17PM
Help needed please! I'm in a different country from the instruction book. I seem to have pressed a button I shouldn't have and can't fix it.
The lowest ISO I can select is 200. To the left of the selected ISO on the top plate display it says ISO D+
Can anyone suggest how I get back to lower ISO please?
Many thanks
John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Apr 2011 9:24PM
did you have the highlight tone priority on? If so, turn it off.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
16 Apr 2011 9:34PM
Not a bad thing anyway as Canon optimise their sensors to give the least noise at iso 200 as do the other manufacturers.....

...so I'm told.
johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 9:35PM
Bless you, Coleslaw! Camera now operating as desired
John
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Apr 2011 9:37PM
Not sure, Kris.
I read that Highlight tone priority causes noise in the shadow area, though I have no idea if that is true or not.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
16 Apr 2011 9:46PM
Me neither Cole, I was just refering to general use with none of the myriad enhancements switched on. Smile
17 Apr 2011 11:16AM
Nikon has a base ISO of 200 - Canon is 100.

The detailed reviews show that on the 5DII, ISO 100 has better signal to noise ratio than ISO 200.
On the other hand, there is very little difference in the available dynamic range and occasionally someone advocates using ISO 200 instead of ISO 100; but that's a different story.
17 Apr 2011 12:34PM
It would be interesting to know why; but your guess is not backed up by the DxO results (see link in my previous post)
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2011 10:25PM
Chris, from what I remember, highlight tone priority effectively underexposes one stop by reducing the ISO then scales up the result. That would explain why it prevents ISO 100 being selected.

On a general note on noise vs ISO, I did some testing on long exposure (15 min plus) night shots a year or so back with the 5DII and decided that on a practical level, ISO 200 was optimal (no noticeable increase in noise over ISO 100 and allowed me to select more useful apertures around f/8 for those shots). In good light, I still shoot ISO 100 becaue more controlled tests than I was doing have shown it does have a slight noise advantage.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2011 11:16PM
to my understanding the camera underexposes the image and then applies a new tone curve to the resulting capture that adds a full stop of compensation to the shadow areas but the compensation reduces as the captured data rises so to simplify you can think of it as removing up to a stop from the highlights, but mid-tones and shadows are as exposed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.