Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

canon 5d II sensor

ireid7 e2
8 11 Scotland
10 Oct 2012 2:00PM
i am having problems with lots of small circular marks on my photos (dust bunny's) or whatever they are called, i tried cleaning myself with
delkin sensor scope till i thought it looked fine, i took a few shots with cloudy skies then noticed they were still there. so i then went to my local camera center and got it done by a professional and the test shot looked good on the white back ground but when i got it home it was just the same???
any ideas????
cheers ian......

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 2:38PM
Can you post a sample image showing the marks?

Have you tried photographing a patch of clear blue sky? Black card? White Card? If it was OK in the shop it seems strange to suddenly revert at home. Are the marks related to highlights or specific colours?
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 2:57PM
Is it unique to one lens?
ireid7 e2
8 11 Scotland
10 Oct 2012 4:04PM
no Chris it was the same with boath 24-105 and 17-40 lenses
ireid7 e2
8 11 Scotland
10 Oct 2012 4:10PM
here is a photo heavily cropped if you view large you will see the horizontal lines running across the image
http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/dust-sample-29670059/normal
Niknut e2
4 740 64 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 4:17PM
The lines across the image look like dried solvent from the 'sensor-wipes' ?????......not good !!!

A 'professional' sensor clean is needed, or let Canon have a look at it !!

I NEVER touch the sensor on my camera....I just use a 'Hurricane' blower occasionally, which always does the trick !!
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 4:23PM
Whoever cleaned your sensor wants shooting. I bet its worst now than before. Take it back to where you had it supposedly cleaned and ask them if they will pay to have it done at Canon.
Stephen
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 4:35PM
I agree with above - getting spots in a striaght line like that can only be manmade.

But are they the same sort of spots you saw before the cleaning?
10 Oct 2012 4:39PM
yep looks like too much fluid been used and dried.
Ive cleaned my sensors many times and its not as daunting as people think, just make sure battery has plenty of life. It sometimes takes a number of attempts, I use a blower to start then pec pads with fluid but only a few drops. I use a spot light then run the pec pads all around the outside first followed by sweeps across the longest side overlapping.
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 5:21PM
Never had to clean my 5D2 sensor (so far) - and I bet you wanted to know that!

I would send the camera into an a authorized repair center, such as Fixation for a proper clean
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 5:35PM
Definitely been caused by the fluid not been taken back off and left to dry , however no reason it should not clean if done properly and it takes a very small amount of fluid one to two drops max.
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 5:43PM
Ive had a Simuler problem, I used Elipse and PadS Which i was always Happy to reccomend, but recently I could get rid of them and after some research bought some "Smear awar which gets rid of the marks that dont evaporate or oil from the edges, Its put me off ever using elipse again. so after asking on another thread im changing cleaning method. but look up "Smear away"
ireid7 e2
8 11 Scotland
10 Oct 2012 8:11PM
thanks very much everybody i think its probably my fault tho i did follow the instructions to the letter i must have used to much fluid
i wont be using delkin sensor swabs in the future.!!
cheers ian.....
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 8:45PM
I thought you had pro clean since then? They should have sorted that out for you Ian
ireid7 e2
8 11 Scotland
10 Oct 2012 8:56PM
yes i did so i will be talking to them tomorrow!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.