Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D mark iii

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Sep 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hi all, does any body own the new canon 5D mark iii and what are your thoughts on it.
    I am thinking of buying one for weddings, portraits, landscapes and wondering if it would do wildlife as well, I no doubt think it would do wildlife but do you think it would be as good as the 7D for this.
    Love to know your findings and if anyone has any images to share as well from this camera to make my mind up.

Thank you all in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Sep 2012 - 11:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 12:31 AM

Save your Penny`s and get the OM-D, its pretty much useless for some wild life but great for portraits and weddings.

I would have thought the 7D would have been better for wildlife, the extra reach must be useful.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 24 Sep 2012 - 12:32 AM
    Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 7:28 AM

I have used it for portraits and doggies.
    Surreyhillsman has used it on wildlife and doggies.

For me, it just feels right. AF is much better than 5D2. Though I haven't really pushed the ISO yet.

Alan_Coles
    24 Sep 2012 - 8:27 AM

I have also used it for wildlife but not dogging. I use it mostly for landscapes but as Coleslaw says it just feels right... I have shot on iso 2500 at a low light band shot and was blown away.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 8:32 AM

Thanks guys it sounds really good, it is to replace my 5d mark ii, however i would not get rid of my 7D as this is really good for wildlife but was interested to see what you can achieve from the 5D mark iii
    as the focusing points are superior to the 7D'S, I know the burst rate is 6 fps but then it is only 2 less than the 7D.

I am thinking a new camera is on it's way SmileSmileSmile.

Nice images from your 5D mark iii Cole, by the way.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 24 Sep 2012 - 8:33 AM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82254 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 8:56 AM

Quote: I have also used it for wildlife but not dogging

Thank goodness for that! Although it does beg the question what are you doing with wildlife? Wink

Last Modified By sherlob at 24 Sep 2012 - 8:57 AM
    mikehit
    mikehit  46102 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2012 - 9:04 AM

The AF is IIRC the same as on the 1Dx and this review seems very favourable on the 5DIII capability for wildlife:
    http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0512.html

Buchephalus
    24 Sep 2012 - 9:13 AM

I shoot much the same as yourself and I've tried the 5D mk3 more than once at Calumet and on a 'mentor me' one to one with a Canon rep. Overall way better than the 5Dmk2 for build quality, autofocus, frame rate and exposure metering. Flash metering I'm told will also be better, mk2 can be a hit or a miss at times with occasional blown exposures with flash. The 7D which I also have is good but now where near the 5Dmk2 or 5Dmk3 for high iso. I've taken a few shots with the demo model at high iso and it's cleaner than the 5d2. Great camera and you won't regret buying it.
    Sadly I won't be buying it at the moment though as much as I hate the autofocus of the 5dmk2 in low light, I'm going to wait and see how Canon respond to the brilliant Nikon D800Smile

Alan_Coles
    24 Sep 2012 - 9:17 AM

Quote: I have also used it for wildlife but not dogging

Thank goodness for that! Although it does beg the question what are you doing with wildlife? Wink

lol...I'll leaves the doggies to others Wink

ianrobinson
    24 Sep 2012 - 4:47 PM

Quote: Sadly I won't be buying it at the moment though as much as I hate the autofocus of the 5dmk2 in low light, I'm going to wait and see how Canon respond to the brilliant Nikon D800

I believe the 5D mark iii is canons response to the Nikon D800, the D800 came out first then canon came out with the 5D mark iii but going by reviews the 5D and the D800 are on par with each other.

Thx for the advise and it was really interesting reading Mikehit with that link, looks like ill be investing very soon then Smile.

As for dogging i'll leave that to the youngsters of today lol Tongue....

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Sep 2012 - 12:12 PM

You seem to be trying to convince yourself to buy the D800.
    I have the D800e fantastic piece of kit

leave the "dark side" and see the light

ianrobinson
    25 Sep 2012 - 7:42 PM

Quote: You seem to be trying to convince yourself to buy the D800.
    I have the D800e fantastic piece of kit

leave the "dark side" and see the light

no not at all, all though it does look to be a fantastic bit of kit, I am a canon man and love the way canon works especially with certain features that nikon don't have, for example canon have exposure compensations for flash guns built onto the camera, ambient light exposure comp and flash exposure comp, very handy and nikon do not have this function as yet as far as i know, got to say though that canon are bloody dear compared to nikon these days not sure what thats all about.
    Every new lens and body Canon do doubles in price from there previous model of the same, example the 24-70mm f2.8 mark i was 1000 new the mark ii is 2000 new, WHY?

Ptr_A
    Ptr_A  554 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Oct 2012 - 11:20 PM

Our eldest son has the Canon 5dmk111 and reckons it is the bees knees - he has the mk1 as well. He has shot one wedding and does a lot of nature work. It is far superior to the 7d for high iso. I know that if I had the money to chop in my 60d, I would get the 5d 111 in a flash.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2012 - 3:14 PM

Ian, this was taken hand-held inside the Pompidou centre in Paris with my new mkIII. Wound up the ISO to see how much noise was generated
    ISO 12800, f/9, 1/125
    Not bad noise levels...
    -x6b0378img-img-.jpg

ianrobinson
    10 Oct 2012 - 9:58 PM

not bad at all m8 i am very impressed with the result, thx for sharing and it has made my mind up for this camera.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.