Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D MK 1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jwrath69
jwrath69  7 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

I'm planning on trading in my Canon digital gear and upgrading to a 5D (been wanting to do this for years!). I'm not really in the market for a Mk II/III, I'm keen on the first model.
What roughly should I be paying for body only or with kit 24-105 lens?
Is it worth looking at alternatives (although I'm very familiar with Canons)?
Does anyone have one for sale!??

Advice welcome.
Many thanks.

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Spencer1966
20 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

one here
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-ca...

wish I still had mine - did well over 160000 actuations. they do need good glass and a regular sensor clean mind

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 1:17 PM

5D MkI around 450.

Canon 24-105mm around 500.

There is No such thing as a KIT lens, It just happens that some lens models get bundled as a deal, A lens is a lens is a lens.....Grin

I would read up on the Canon 5D MkI very carefully, Yes it was a great camera for many years, But NOT perfect by any means, Now many years down the road, Finding a really decent one is going to be a hard job, You will be much better of buying a 5D MkII......Period.

Or if your really hung up on full frame with no brand preference check out a Nikon D700....!!!

Each to his own though.....Wink

jwrath69
20 May 2013 - 1:19 PM

Thanks for this post.
The suggested 5D seems very reasonable compared to the Sendean Camera repair shop who reconditions models and sells kit (you may know them??).
They have two 5D's at 900 each.
I'm calling MPBPhotographic now - have you purchased from them before??
Thanks for the link.
Jonathan

jwrath69
20 May 2013 - 1:21 PM

Thanks for your post and the advice Cameracat.
I'll check both out.
Jonathan

Hugo
Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 1:27 PM

Given that the Mk2 is about 700-950 odd..if you can afford more - I'd go for that.

MPB seem like good people, bought a load of stuff from them all ok.
See also http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/

Last Modified By Hugo at 20 May 2013 - 1:32 PM
Spencer1966
20 May 2013 - 1:37 PM

Mbp are good and well respected, ask for a discount though.
Good luck

jwrath69
20 May 2013 - 1:49 PM

Useful comments/advice..much appreciated.
Not sure why Sendean are so expensive except that they charge 225 for a full service on the 5D.
Thanks for putting me on to MPB. They are very helpful.
Jonathan

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 2:19 PM

MPB are good for new and used and to sell your unwanted gear too aswell !

I have owned 5Dmk 1 2 and 3

On the upside the 5D1 is a great buy , full frame and very high quality images, really reliable and well built
On the downside the battery life is not great , the lcd screen is very poor and no auto iso should you need that, also no video
The 5D2 is an amazing camera and better than the 5D1 by a country mile
The 5D3 is better than the 5D2 but not as groundbreaking as it was much smaller gap between the mk2 and mk3

My advice a second hand 5D2

Andy

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 20 May 2013 - 2:20 PM
Spencer1966
20 May 2013 - 2:27 PM

Without a doubt technology wise the MkII & III are superior but if the OP has budget limitations the MkI will be a fine camera for them.

I too have had the MkI MkII and now the MkIII - if i was just doing this as a hobby I would seriously without question go for a second hand MkI. I still insist the shutter sound on the MkI is how shutters should sound and 12mp is just the ideal size in my opinion.

FrogTastic
20 May 2013 - 2:49 PM

I have both the MK2 and MK3. As mentioned about, the MK2 is an awesome camera, leaps ahead of the MK1. I would suggest going for the MK2, Ive seen afew new for around 900-1100.

mikehit
mikehit  46179 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 3:12 PM

Why do you want to go to a 5D1? I am not saying you do not have valid reasons, but when you say "been wanting to do this for years" it suggests you may (may!) be doing it out of dogma rather than practicality. And bearing in mind the lenses you may need to replace, this may reduce the price you can afford for a good quality version. And after the LCD etc of the 400D the 5D may irritate you. If you could afford the 5DII, that would be a different kettle of fish.
Perhaps you can get the camera for a 'trial' period?

jwrath69
20 May 2013 - 3:18 PM

Thanks for the great advice and in put.
I'm not fully pro but do get paid for the stuff I do - portraiture, prommotional and just starting a bit of product photography.
I've been getting by with my 400D and some good lenses. This set up has been great for what I do. Budget contrains me for the Mk II so ended up buying MPB Photographic's Mk I with the 24-105 (I've kept my 50mm lens).
Body 420
Lens 589
All in, after part ex with my stuff I paid just under 560. This kit should be a big a leap up for me - quality in picture tones and my 50 will be a 50.
MPB Photographic seem highly reputable, so I'm pleased in fact very pleased ! - will wait and see!
Thanks again.
Jonathan

jwrath69
20 May 2013 - 3:24 PM

Thanks Mikehit, actually yes I have a cool off period with the store. You're right, the II would be great. Hear you on the LCD. Really it's a budget requirement and I know I'm going to like my pictures more with what I purchesed. Also the boost in ISO is going to be v useful in natural situations.
Cheers.
Jonathan

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 3:40 PM

Have fun , make sure to get a couple of spare batteries tho ! and dont be afraid to get the cheap fleabay jobs they work just great , I used to go through 3 - 4 batteries in a day doing a wedding with the 5D1 , i now use 1 battery all day on the 5d3 !!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.