Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 5D MK 1

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 3:47PM
Enjoy it Jonathan and let us know what you think of it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jwrath69 7 9 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 3:53PM
Will do re letting you know how i get on, and, spare batteries..
Jonathan
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
20 May 2013 3:57PM
batteries are probably the biggest "practical" advantage of the 5D2 over the 5D1

used to do my nut in, having to change them loads

was out weds/thurs/fri doing 1 minute exposures with the 5D2, the 2 batteries in the battery grip lasted for all 3 days!
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
20 May 2013 4:23PM
For me the biggest advantage of the 5D MKII over the MKI is the comparative lack of dust. The MKI seemed as efficient as any Dyson at hoovering it up. On the plus side, the smooth, modestly-sized files of the 5D were quite easy on the eye when editing - always liked the look of them (the 5D + 50mm f/1.8 is a pretty deadly combo).
20 May 2013 5:02PM
Thank you for battery comments, ade_macfade - useful to know.

Re dust, GlennH: does that mean regular cleaning/servicing is required?? Or what did you find best (if anything) to keep this problem at bay?
Also nice to hear that 5D + 50mm f/1.8 is a winning combo. I've got a fair bit of portraiture coming up - should serve me well, right?
J
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
20 May 2013 5:34PM

Quote:Re dust, GlennH: does that mean regular cleaning/servicing is required?? Or what did you find best (if anything) to keep this problem at bay?

That depends on how good you are at cleaning sensors - close scrutiny of results always suggested that I am inherently rubbish at it! So yes, I did have that done professionally on a couple of occasions - once at Fixation in London and again a year or two later in Paris.

I guess the 24-105mm covers the more traditional portrait range towards its longer end? I've managed to avoid buying it twice when really it would have been a wise move to include it, but may remedy that soon. The 50mm will give you great image quality when closed down a little.
martin.w e2
12 353 22 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 6:34PM
I still regularly use a 5D MK 1 and have done so since 2007. Battery life isn't bad, it really depends on how much you use it, as I have rarely used my spare batteries even during a full morning or evening out landscaping. The last time I did was at a race track and I had taken over 200 images. Dust too for me isn't a problem, as I haven't cleaned my camera for over 6 months and about 6 dust spots are currently visible. When I do clean it, I use an Arctic Butterfly and have never had it cleaned or serviced by a shop/dealer. It still produces fine images, though I would concede it lacks the ISO flexibility of more recent cameras Wink
20 May 2013 7:08PM
Thanks GlennH and martin.w, I guess I'll see how I get on. I've been on to Fixation - a good port of call for a clean as required, although it looks a sthough Canon's are pricier than most to clean. If it needs doing, it needs doing..
Cheers,
Jonathan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.