Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D Mk II

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2008 - 8:41 AM

Quote: I'd be tempted to upgrade if it has blow-job lips built in .....

Sometimes...I utterly despair. Geordies huh?

Anyway, there are rumours of an announcement today so I'm keeping an eye out, but I remember last time this happened and it was about 5 months later, so I'm not holding my breath...(referring to Canon's announcement, not Dan's upgrade facility!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jun 2008 - 8:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sus
10 Jun 2008 - 5:45 PM

Canon 1000D announced..well its on Park Cameras, can't find an 'official ' announcement yet. Fewer pixels than the 450D!!

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2008 - 5:47 PM

Quote: Canon 1000D announced..well its on Park Cameras, can't find an 'official ' announcement yet. Fewer pixels than the 450D!!

Been on the News Page all Day! Including a link to Canon UK's info.

Last Modified By Henchard at 10 Jun 2008 - 5:48 PM
Sus
10 Jun 2008 - 5:53 PM

Oh duh! shows I don't check the epz news enough.

There does'nt seem to be much difference between this and the 400D.

Kris_Dutson
10 Jun 2008 - 7:04 PM

I'm perfectly content with my 5D MKI and don't see why they need to fiddle with it TBH.

And at least it exists....

Or maybe I've been taking photos with a figment for the past two years or so....

CarlSN
CarlSN  6372 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2008 - 7:26 PM

Where is Canon going?

Quote: # Compatible with SD and SDHC memory cards
# Compact and lightweight body

What's wrong with CF?
Does this mean cheap and plasticy?

Definitely not the 5D replacement. So yet another wait or as Ex states, be happy with the 5D MKI 'at least it exists'.

chris.maddock
10 Jun 2008 - 7:34 PM

Quote: Where is Canon going?
Quote:# Compatible with SD and SDHC memory cards
What's wrong with CF?

Too big - if they want to make a small camera, SD is far smaller so gives more scope to sqeeeeeeeze things down.

Quote: Does this mean cheap and plasticy?

Not necessarily - not all plastics are cheap and tacky.

Quote: Definitely not the 5D replacement. So yet another wait or as Ex states, be happy with the 5D MKI 'at least it exists'.

Indeed - the only reason I'd replace my 5D is if it broke, got lost or got nicked. I'd quite happily replace it with another 5D, what can the anticipated Mk2 have that I'd actually want or need? Not a lot I guess.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
10 Jun 2008 - 8:25 PM

Quote: I'm perfectly content with my 5D MKI and don't see why they need to fiddle with it TBH

I pretty much agree, although now I have a 40D as well, and use them both about the same, I would really really like sensor cleaning on the 5D. Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2008 - 8:37 PM

Quote: What's wrong with CF?

It's "yesterday's technology" really. SDHC cards seem to be the flavour of the month.

Quote: I'm perfectly content with my 5D MKI and don't see why they need to fiddle with it TBH

Well Canon have certainly not rushed to replace it, have they? Wink

It hasn't been subject to the usual 18-month replacement cycle for non 1-series Canons.

That said, there are cheaper models in the Canon range which have things (Live View, Sensor Cleaning etc) which the 5D does not have, and that can't continue for ever.

Also the megapixellage may need upping - purely for marketing purposes of course!

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Jun 2008 - 8:37 PM
cardiff tractor boy

Its widely predicted that the 5d MK2 will be 14.1mp and have live view and image cleaning sensor, its due to be announced mid to end august, the full frame Nikon is reportedly called the D11 which seems odd but again its expected to be a full frame version of the D300 with a rumoured 15mp and a expected price of 1800 body only and should be announced mid to late July

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2008 - 8:48 PM

Canon are already facing serious competition from Nikon in the Japanese home market. I understand Nikon DSLRs are currently outselling Canon ones there.

Canon will undoubtedly wish to respond robustly to this challenge!

cardiff tractor boy

Nikon are currently outselling Canon worldwide, this is mainly down to the number of units the D40 (because of Price) and the D300 (price & quality) are selling, the D60 has been poor and D80 has had its day and the 40d sells far more, the odd thing is that when Sony bought Minolta they said that within 5yrs they would be the 2nd biggest selling brand of Dslr in the world behing Canon but no one expected Nikon to take over at the top

Carabosse
10 Jun 2008 - 9:22 PM

Quote: Nikon are currently outselling Canon worldwide

Are you sure?

My understanding was that Nikon had edged ahead of Canon in Japan but, worldwide, Canon were still well ahead.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2008 - 9:39 PM

Quote: Canon sell more cameras than Nikon.

see here

chris.maddock
10 Jun 2008 - 9:54 PM

Quote: I've seen there and even though it's only talking about SLR type cameras it says

Canon sold 3.18 million single-lens reflex cameras in 2007 compared with Nikon's 2.98 million, according to a study released Tuesday by market researcher IDC

Canon sell more cameras than Nikon

More than twice as many, which did surprise me, TBH.

As did the fact that Sony, Kodak and Samsung also sold more than Nikon, and Olympus weren't far behind.

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 10 Jun 2008 - 9:55 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.