Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5d Mk1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    stoko
    stoko  6 United Kingdom
    20 Jun 2012 - 1:32 PM

Hello,
    Really new to photography and have just aquired a Canon 5d Mk1(Second or third hand).
    I am getting to grips with it but I am puzzled when I set it to Tv mode and set a shutter speed of say 1000,then focus and take a picture, the camera alters the shutter speed down to 350 or whatever. Surely it should stay in the preset position or am I doing something very wrong? Any help would be appreciated,
    Regards,
    Stoko.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jun 2012 - 1:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2012 - 1:41 PM

It should stay at that speed,You may need to get it checked out

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2012 - 1:49 PM

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. The whole idea of the Tv setting is to fix the shutter speed. If this means the suitable aperture required is would be too large or too small for the lens in use, the figure should "blink". See page 86 of the manual or download one from here if you haven't got it.

Second or third hand, you say? Hmm... could it be faulty?

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2012 - 2:46 PM

CB makes an excellent point. If you are trying to shoot a subject at say 1000th of a second, but there is insufficient light to allow this the mode may be adjusting the shutter speed to the fastest available in order to give a workable result. What conditions were you using the camera in when you found this? Have you tried testing it at a range of shutter speeds in good light? And, how are you confirming what shutter speed was actually used (e.g. are you looking at the metadata?)

stoko
    stoko  6 United Kingdom
    20 Jun 2012 - 2:46 PM

I have just changed-! The memory card and 2-The lens (24-70 2.8). The camera now retains the shutter speed so all seems to be O.K. Many thanks for the quick response!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2012 - 2:57 PM

Unlikely to be the memory card, I would have thought, but it could be the lens/camera linkage is the culprit.

You could try carefully cleaning the contacts on the camera and all the lenses you propose to use on it.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2012 - 7:17 PM

you have got the safety shift set !

stoko
    stoko  6 United Kingdom
    22 Jun 2012 - 8:07 PM

O.K. Thanks Colin! Yes I had,so simple!! Many thanks again. Just had a look at your web site,really impressed,
    Stoko.

billip
    billip  9388 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 Jul 2012 - 8:52 PM

I've just checked it out too (Colin's website); fantastic !

Dave_Canon
    8 Jul 2012 - 12:34 PM

I could not resist the recommendation and can certainly confirm that there are splendid images on Colin's website. After seeing them, I must do some more sport myself.

Dave

Last Modified By Dave_Canon at 8 Jul 2012 - 12:34 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.