Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D mk2 - wireless tethering

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    backbeat
    backbeat e2 Member 8134 forum postsbackbeat vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2011 - 8:11 AM

Hi....has anyone out there used the Canon WFT-E4 II Wireless Transmitter with a PC or laptop?

I'm dipping my toe into event photography and want to use this wireless system, but I have read that it's a nightmare to set up

any advice much appreciated

thanks

phil

Last Modified By backbeat at 22 Aug 2011 - 8:12 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Aug 2011 - 8:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    30 Aug 2011 - 7:03 PM

I understand that it's really only a nightmare if you're not familiar with some of the networking jargon (like ftp server, http server etc). If you already understand about routers, port forwarding etc then you should find it easy. I don't think it comes with a battery and I think it's well overpriced for what it is but there's no real alternative Sad

User_Removed
    31 Aug 2011 - 10:03 AM

There are alternatives, but they are more complex than the WFT-E4. However they surmount some problems on the WFT. It is not expensive at all for what it provides.

From a networking point of view the WFT's from canon are nightmarishly badly designed - They just "dumbly" push images via FTP using wireless.

A big limitation at some events is that the WFT's I have used only store 5 set's of SSID settings. BIG ISSUE if it is a large event without unified SSID's. e.g. If you go to an event that has multiple, differently named SSID zones you are ****ed. This means you have to ad-hoc to a nearby laptop - so you might aswell be tethered.

It also means you can stick a GPS or little 1.8 HDD drive onto your camera and a few other extras that they can do.

However, by no means is it hard or complex to set up. They are very useful if you require them. If things are really time critical then a WFT is really the only way to get a solid IRES setup anyway. The CPN has a large amount of documentation on it all.

Personally I see them as a more of a "top down" device. That means that if an event organiser wants to streamline the process, rather than having 14 photographers cover an event. 3 togs with WFT's and the correct setup can cover it better and quicker. - The result is photographers concentrating on capturing not editing/running.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Aug 2011 - 10:07 AM
    User_Removed
    31 Aug 2011 - 12:07 PM

Quote: From a networking point of view the WFT's from canon are nightmarishly badly designed - They just "dumbly" push images via FTP using wireless.

Not true.

They don't just do that. In HTTP mode the device starts a built-in web server and people can view a dynamically generated web page of all the images the camera has shot (great for clients), people can also control when the camera shoots.
    It can be used as a PTP client and you can have full control of the camera from a PC running the EOS Utility.

User_Removed
    31 Aug 2011 - 5:15 PM

The above is also true.

But try using HTTP mode at a busy event Wink

the WFT's drop images like you wouldn't believe.

User_Removed
    31 Aug 2011 - 5:55 PM

Maybe so but you were completely wrong to say "they just dumbly push images via FTP using wireless" Wink

User_Removed
    31 Aug 2011 - 11:21 PM

Also true Tongue

LensYews
    LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Sep 2011 - 7:46 AM

Eye-fi cards are a cheaper alternative

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.