Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D MkII Battery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JR51
JR51  4
23 Jul 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hi there,

Well I've just received my new Canon MkII but the initial excitement soon wore off when I realised that it takes a different size battery to the 5D! (yes, ok, I was naive to think they would be the same!). So, what I need help to understand is, whether the cheaper Canon replacement battery kits are safe? The canon batteries are around 50 each but there are loads of cheaper alternatives around the 20 and some around 12. Any help advice on this would be appreciated as I would rather not have to fork out any more money just yet if I can help it!
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jul 2010 - 10:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6520 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2010 - 1:24 PM

Give the camera a try and you will find the battery life is far better than the 5D, I only have the one and have found it lasts all day with no problem.

If you do want a spare, after paying close on 2 grand for the camera do you really want to put non Canon batteries in it for the sake of 30.

gary

AlanPerkins
23 Jul 2010 - 1:34 PM

Quote:
If you do want a spare, after paying close on 2 grand for the camera do you really want to put non Canon batteries in it for the sake of 30.

I second that. Why scrimp on the batteries when you've just forked out for a good camera?

JR51
JR51  4
23 Jul 2010 - 2:11 PM

Heys guys thanks. The same thought was at the back of my mind too but as you can appreciate, I'm still reeling from the cost of the camera so had hoped someone might have said, yeh, they're fine! Wink

RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2010 - 3:18 PM

For what it's worth, I bought a cheapo ($12 I think) from HK for my Sony A300 & it lasts as long as the Sony one. Even if it didn't, you can get 3 for the price of a genuine Sony.

WilliamRoar
23 Jul 2010 - 3:21 PM

Never buy official canon battries. I found that you can pick them up much much cheaper on eBay - Buy it Now. They also seem to offer twice the mAh.

steve_p
steve_p  81096 forum posts England
23 Jul 2010 - 4:46 PM

sorry to disagree, I bought a non canon battery for my Ixus, that lasted 3 months before it wouldnt hold its charge. I had one for my 40D as well from the same supplier(a well known supplier) It was silver in colour not grey had no capacity info on it- Guess what after a few weeks same thing happened.

I certainly would not consider one for my 7D but there again I dont reaaly need a second battery this one does about 600 shots!

michaelcombe
23 Jul 2010 - 7:29 PM

I used an ebay battery for my 40D for about nine months couples with the original battery in a battery grip (non canon) and had no problems whatsoever and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Michael

Jalapeno
Jalapeno  4127 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2010 - 7:50 PM

you get what you pay for!

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2010 - 7:58 PM

The only non-genuine battery I would use is Hannel, but they are almost as expensive as Canon, so I went for a genuine battery.

The 5Dmk2 has really good battery life, and when you've spent that much on a camera it is maybe not a good idea to stick 12 quids worth of eBay's finest Chinese battery (complete with charger!!!) in there and risk a meltdown! Canon will not repair the camera under warranty if you use a non genuine battery.

JR51
JR51  4
27 Jul 2010 - 9:06 AM

Thanks for the response everyone - I have played safe and gone with Canon! All I need now are lots of commissions so I can pay off my credit card bill Smile

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
27 Jul 2010 - 1:06 PM

As far as I am aware (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the 5DmkII batteries have a chip in them that means you can view the battery status as a percentage on the LCD, but the non-Canon ones don't have this facility.

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2010 - 2:22 PM

Quote: As far as I am aware (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the 5DmkII batteries have a chip in them that means you can view the battery status as a percentage on the LCD, but the non-Canon ones don't have this facility.

Correct.

I bought a second genuine canon battery for my 7D (same battery as the 5D MkII). I had both in the battery grip at the recent Fairford airshow and took 4,500 pictures aprox and did a fair amount of reviewing, still had 20% left on each battery so well worth the money.

The_Nabster
27 Jul 2010 - 9:49 PM

Agree with John and Javam - the battery for the 5D MII/7D is awesome - and third party batteries do not display the battery life

JR51
JR51  4
28 Jul 2010 - 8:40 AM

Thanks again everyone - responses much appreciated.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.