Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5D MkII Battery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Dec 2010 - 1:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2010 - 1:40 PM

Thanks Coleslaw - just ordered mine - you should be on a referral fee Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53509 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2010 - 3:23 PM

Rip off Britian/World, I'm sure that Canon (or anyone) already make a profit on each camera they sell - thats fine and fare.
But when a branded battery (or chipped ink cartridge) costs so much more than a non branded one - that's just rude.

I love spare batteries , i have 6; 2 canon's and 4 clones. the 2 canons still work but only for much shorter times now.
The 4 clones all have had better initial capacity, one has failed after 2 years, but my main ones are still the clones as they last significantly better than the older Canon ones.

Once all batteries are "chipped" and unclonable then if a camera company wants to kill off a old model it will just stop selling the spare batteries. And as all batteries decline and fail over time we will all be forced to abandon our camera's and buy new ones as the clone makers won't be able to help us.
So your effectively renting your camera for 8 years with a one off payment of 1000, then 50 every 2/3 years for a batteries. Then in Year 9 you camera is truly worthless if batteries are unavailable.
Give me some standard AA cells every time!

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2010 - 4:28 PM

One thing you need to beware of. On many products, lets take printers as an example, often the printer is sold at lower than cost price and they make money from the sale of consumables. The same is often true of consoles, such as X Box and Playstation where it is the software that generates money, not the console.

But camera batteries, often the manufacturers do take the customer for a ride there. There is a reason they cost more than the lowest cost ones, but the price is still too high. The lowest cost ones sometimes lack the thermal overload protection and have less pure materials used. And having watched some of those batteries fail under charging its nasty and can result in a house fire.

there is a good consumer argument for the manufacturers to standardise on a few battery types/sizes, but that would cut profits for them.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.