Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 5Dmk3 wedding photography first impressions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2013 - 9:08 PM

Into my first few thousand shots on the new mark 3.

Absolutely bowled over by the iso and quality its truly great and a step up from the 5D2. A few points :

I am now able to do a full 10 hour wedding shoot on a single battery ! whats happened here as its the same battery as the 5D2 ?? I used to use 2 sometimes 3

Is anyone aware of any downsides to the silent mode ( apart from slower fps ) ? it seems great but how exactly does it work ?

The minimum shutter speed setting was long overdue and is a great addition i can now shoot freely and not have to worry about the iso / shutter speed in certain conditions and be assured of a sharp shot

I haven't yet found the lack of red focus points to be a problem as some have suggested as it only fires when locked on anyway

The overall exposure actually seems more accurate than the 5d2 and I am having to adjust less in difficult situations with it nailing it first time a lot of the time

The overall feel and look is slightly more 1D than 5D and is very good

In good to low light it easily handles up to 12800
    in very low light 6400 is probably best but still seems to be able to lock better with the af than the 5d2

thank you
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Mar 2013 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2013 - 11:51 PM

Its an amazing camera, I have had this for a while now and this is definitely one purchase I never regret doing.
    he 5D mkiii is everything a photographer could dream of, I use it on portraiture, weddings, landscapes and wildlife and it copes extremely well in all those genres.
    I can shoot at ISO 4,000 and not worry about it.

here is one shot at that iso

The ISO on this shot was 4000, I don't see an issue, however if i used my canon 7d this image would be unusable.
    I am impressed every time i use my 5D MKIII

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 5:57 AM

I totally agree with Ian.

As for silent mode, no idea how it works, but it really is silent, unlike the 7d I had before. Its silent mode was no different to normal shooting mode!

Malc

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 8:42 AM

Agreed , I would say having used it in a wedding ceremony it is VERY quiet . to me at least - it may well be silent to the person stood 6 foot away that one i will have to ask the bride and groom on !
    The only thing that worries me is if it is putting any extra work or pressure on any components ?

I have found quite happy shooting up to around 10,000 ISO ! which looks pretty equivalent to my 5D2 at 3200 at 12800 it does seem to exhibit a little more noise though still useable.

mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2013 - 1:30 PM

Quote: Is anyone aware of any downsides to the silent mode ( apart from slower fps ) ? it seems great but how exactly does it work ?

Pulsar - I knew I had seen an explanation of silent mode somewhere:

Quote: He shows examples and communications with Chuck Westfall of Canon describing the sequence of events when using Live View Silent Mode. On the 5D you get to this via Menu, Live View/Movie func. set, then Silent Shoot with a choice of disable, mode 1 and mode 2. Chuck's description is more detailed, but to summarize:

In Silent Shooting, mode disabled, the mirror stays up, but the shutter closes then opens to take a shot. It closes again to end the shot and reopens to reinitiate Live View.

In the Silent Shooting mode 1, the mirror also stays up the whole time but the shutter does not close nor reopen to shoot, but stays open and the exposure is initiated electronically, with a soft click. The shutter then closes to end the exposure, then immeiately reopens to reinitiate Live View. Continuous shooting is slowed down.

Silent Shooting mode 2 is similar to mode 1, but at the end of the exposure the shutter closes, but does not reopen until your finger pressure is off the shutter button. Continuous is not possible.

Since I have 4 manual focus lenses I use Live View very frequently for landscape shooting on a tripod. I ran a test to see if Live View Silent Shooting Mode 1 or 2 would make a improvement by reducing vibration as both modes eliminate closing of the shutter to initiate the shot.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/904958

I don;t know about the 5D3 version of it but unfortuantely it does not allow flash sync on my 7D - if it did it would be excellent for macro. maybe it is down to the use of the electronic first shutter instead of mechanical first shutter.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.