Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 60d dust speck

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hornchurch
    13 Dec 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi I hope to get a bit of advice about 3 months ago I bought a canon 620 d and a canon 17 40 lense..... after putting the lense on the camera it has never been removed yesterday I noticed a dust spec..... the canon start up sensor cleaning does not move it..... I can clone it out on lightroom but I shoot video and it causes a problem....... is the giottos rocket blower the first port of call I guess I would need to mount the camera on a tripod point it down then take the lense off and blast it so any dust drops out... is this the way to go and any advice would be great regards David

p.s as I have not removed the lenses since it was fitted any views on where this dust could have got in...???

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Dec 2011 - 12:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2011 - 1:14 PM

All zoom lenses can suck dust in to the lens body, although its unlikly to get beyond the last group of glass elements and on to the sensor.
    The dust in the mirror area can move around and fall from one place to another.
    Sometimes some people say grease from the shutter can transfer to the sensor.
    Could moisture have got into the body - from heating and cooling as you walk around?

What apertures do you see the spec on?
    If its there all the time is is a stuck pixel?

I've used the Visible Dust sensor cleaning kits before and would reccomend them when needed.

Good luck
    Stuart

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 13 Dec 2011 - 1:15 PM
    hornchurch
    13 Dec 2011 - 1:27 PM

Hi Its more dark at f22 and blurred at wider apertures....... its a black spec at f22 and blurred and 6 times larger wide open.......do you think its dust or a pixel... I hope its not a pixel gone..... Thanks David

User_Removed
    13 Dec 2011 - 1:49 PM

David,

I may be wrong about this, but I would not have thought that aperture would affect the appearance of a dead pixel (which are very common by the way, nothing to get upset about).

Given your "sensor hygiene", I suspect that it may be more likely to be dust inside the lens. As Stuart/Jack(?) has said, all zoom lenses suck in dust as you zoom them.

Dust on the mirror does not show on an image although it can be seen through the optical viewfinder. (and, obviously, a speck of dust on the mirror one day might be on the sensor the next).

Plenty of software solutions whatever the cause. It's something we have to live with in photography. At least we no linger have the problem of dust on negatives and negative carriers!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Dec 2011 - 1:50 PM
    Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2011 - 4:03 PM

Give it a blast with the rocket blower. It should shift it without a problem.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2011 - 5:31 PM

It sounds like dust on the sensor to me. A speck of dust inside the lens will not show up in the image.

Try a rocket blower first.

Ken

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2011 - 5:40 PM

It's very likely to be dust on the sensor (or at least the glass just in front of it). In my experience dust has been a feature of digital photography as long as I've been doing digital photography and cloning out the odd spot or two is, it seems to me, just part of the normal way of things. When it gets bad the sensor needs a clean, again just a routine thing.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2011 - 8:06 PM

Not just digital photography Grin Keeping dust off negatives was/is well nigh impossible!

hornchurch
    14 Dec 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hi thanks for the replies I have ordered a rocket blower and will give that a Go Regards David

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.