Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 60D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
frenchie44
10 Mar 2012 - 7:56 AM

I have just ordered the 60D, should be with me monday. i have been worried about the "plastic" body, but as i will use it for landscape etc it will be ok, the money saved by not buying another 7D will enable me to buy a decent standard zoom to replace the 17-85mm canon.

i have the 40D, 50D and 7D, the 40D will be converted for infrared work,
i have three outfits in their own bags,
one for wildlife which has 7D with Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4 converter + canon F4L 70 -200.
the 60D (was 40D)will be my Macro set, Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro + sigma ring flash.
the 5D will be my landscape set with 10-20 sigma,17-85 canon.
i just pick up the bag that i need for the day, everything i need will be in there.
my Fuji IS_1 IR camera will most likely be redundant when the 40D is converted.
the only other camera i take with me when using the macro or wildlife outfits is my favourite camera of all, the samsung NX100,
its very light small and the images from that are better than what i get with the 17-85mm canon lens.the lens doesnt look much but very sharp and high contrast. now i am set for getting out and about this year, Skomer, dartmoor, Derbyshire and the scilly isles. just got to get 2nd mortgage to cover petrol costs.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2012 - 7:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 8:23 AM

Now you've told the world what gear you have if I were you I'd up the insurance.......SadSadSad

frenchie44
10 Mar 2012 - 8:34 AM

never thought of that!

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41035 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England134 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 8:37 AM

Each to his own I guess. I got a 7D to replace my 40D but kept the latter as a backup. Can't remember the last time I used it. I replaced the 17-85 (it broke!!) with the 15-85 - superb GP lens.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 8:40 AM

bloody hell, you have more gears than Jessops! lol

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315559 forum posts England
10 Mar 2012 - 9:06 AM

You need a separate camera for macro? Is swapping lenses really that difficult ?

justin c
justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 9:08 AM

Not sure why you would need so many camera's just to cover the subjects mentioned. One would be adequate, two even better. Each to their own I guess.
I'd rather carry everything in the one bag so you're prepared for any eventuality, he says, sat here with an aching back Tongue

frenchie44
10 Mar 2012 - 9:34 AM

Quote: Not sure why you would need so many camera's just to cover the subjects mentioned. One would be adequate, two even better. Each to their own I guess.
I'd rather carry everything in the one bag so you're prepared for any eventuality, he says, sat here with an aching back Tongue

I am 68 yrs old, carrying the 150-500 plus 2 other lenses to cover anything is too much to carry when walking all day. my way i do not have to rush around loading or unloading bits and pieces for the day, just pick up the appropiate bag to suit what i will be doing or where i am going.
when i was younger i went throught the phase of taking everything, Bronica SQA plus 2 lenses and a contax RTS 2 with 4 lenses, no zooms as they were not up to the standard of todays zooms, i would end up on my knees by lunchtime, although it was a good excuse to go into the local pub for a rest.

frenchie44
10 Mar 2012 - 9:38 AM

Quote: You need a separate camera for macro? Is swapping lenses really that difficult ?

No i have been swapping lenses for 50 years, but without swapping i do not get dust problems in camera, and i just pick up the bag that suits my days photography that i intend to do. simple and useful, this way i do not forget to take anything.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315559 forum posts England
10 Mar 2012 - 11:34 AM

I wish I was that organised. Smile

mondmagu
mondmagu  474 forum posts Ireland
10 Mar 2012 - 9:11 PM

So the drift I get here is you plan your day for a specific type of shoot! I don't think I could do this, too repetitious.I go out to a location and am happy to shoot whatever I think would be a good shot in my eyes.I change lens if needed when out and about,so far have never had a problem with dust because I take care when doing so.
If you go out to shoot landscape and come across a good macro opportunity,what do you do? Pass by because you have not got the right gear???

frenchie44
11 Mar 2012 - 7:18 AM

Quote: So the drift I get here is you plan your day for a specific type of shoot! I don't think I could do this, too repetitious.I go out to a location and am happy to shoot whatever I think would be a good shot in my eyes.I change lens if needed when out and about,so far have never had a problem with dust because I take care when doing so.
If you go out to shoot landscape and come across a good macro opportunity,what do you do? Pass by because you have not got the right gear???

if i have the general purpose outfit (landscape) i have 17-85 that can get quite close. but that has only happened once in the last 5 years when i spotted the hummingbird moth and the 17-85 coped very well. i do take 2 outfits if i am off to somewhere new , just in case.
i like Dartmoor , but i take the Fuji IS-1 IR camera and the general landscape outfit, thats enough to keep me interested all day. i am not looking for macro subjects there. it works for me, i work hard and sometimes i come home and decide to go out, so i grab a bag and i am off to enjoy my photography, no checking to see if i have everthing i need,

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 7:59 AM

Quote: it works for me

in my view the most important phrase when discussing photography (or most anything else in life) Grin

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 11:51 AM

Quote: the 5D will be my landscape set with 10-20 sigma,17-85 canon.

How does that work? The 17-85 is EF-S

Quote:
i have been worried about the "plastic" body,

They make fighter jets out of 'plastic'. I am not saying the 60D is the same stuff but you will have to really mistreat it to do any real damage.

To replace the 17-85 I would go immediately for the 15-85.

trivets12
trivets12  101151 forum posts
11 Mar 2012 - 12:05 PM

I was about to say that same thing! Don't put the 17-85 on your 5D, you will smash the mirrors!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.