Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

canon 60d using the video

19 Aug 2011 8:04PM
Hi Guys I've been asked by my mate to video his band at a pub gig in a couple of weeks, (my fault for telling him new camera has video), anyway never used the video mode so has anyone got any tips on using it? , many thanks, John. Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
19 Aug 2011 9:06PM
I believe you place a lens on the front of the said 60d, aim at band as if taking a still image but hold the camera a sight more steady for a longer duration, and then press the record video button to record the video...Wink
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
19 Aug 2011 9:26PM
You'll need a decent quality external microphone and preferably a decent pre-amp such as a Juicedlink or a digital recorder such as a Tascam DR 100 or a Zoom H4N. Don't waste your time thinking you'll do just fine with the camera's built in microphone, it's far from ideal and sound isn't to be underestimated in the making of a good video, especially when the main feature is music.
Shoot everything manually, i.e. white balance, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, focusing, audio levels,etc.
Turn your camera's contrast and sharpening settings to their lowest values, i.e. off.
19 Aug 2011 10:23PM
Read somewhere that the mic was rubbish, didnt think it matter so much in a pub and the band is very loud, well im certainly not forking out more cash on add ons, rather get another lens not that interested in the video side anyway, thanks for the replys Grin
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2011 11:51PM
If you've not done much video and you start panning and zooming you will make an uncomfortable roller coaster ride of a movie. Instead frame the whole stage and stick it on a tripod and press record, don't move the camera, let the band move instead.

If you can make a separate sound recording (maybe somebody in the band has a MiniDisc recorder or similar) then do so and you can dub the sound later as built-in mic may struggle.
ChrisV 8 882 26 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2011 9:43AM
Another thing you need to bear in mind - although these cameras are capable of very good quality video - they're not really ideal film recorders, particularly for this sort of thing.

Main reason for that is because SFAIK, you're limited to ten minute bursts. Firstly it's quite a high battery drain and secondly - and far more importantly - the limit is there because of the risk of overheating. Don't take this as gospel, because I've never had experience of such extended use of motion capture, but personally I'd be very wary of using your DSLR for extended consecutive bursts of video shooting. You might therefore want to limit it to a few non-contiguous songs. The whole gig is probably going to be next to impossible in any case.
20 Aug 2011 1:15PM
Chris is right, you'd have to stop filming between songs. You also need big fast memory cards - video eats those up and some can be too slow.

If was filming a gig, I'd use my S95. If I was filming something scripted or knew in advance where subjects were going to be and what the light was going to be like I'd use my 5D Mk II.

First video from S95, second from the 5D Mk II is much better quality but it's not an easy camera to use casually as you can see from the camera-shake and out of focus shots also listen to how the mic picks up handling noise.

20 Aug 2011 1:36PM

Quote:You also need big fast memory cards - video eats those up and some can be too slow.

The Kingston 133X CF cards work fine on a 5D II and 7D, as do the cheapest Transcend ones.

How was the sound recorded on the first video, i.e. what mic? on camera or off? The sound sounds pretty good.
20 Aug 2011 1:44PM
Just the s95's built-in mic. It was so loud next to those drummers I was expecting to hear tons of distortion on playback but was very impressed. Went to a guy's surprise birthday party a few weeks back, knew it would be a good thing to video didn't even consider taking the 5D as the S95 is very capable (even in crappy indoors light).

20 Aug 2011 2:50PM
Very good , I read the manual and it warned about overheating probs, camera has a automatic shut off to protect it. Got a 32 gb class 10 card did a little play last night had probs with the focusing as it was hand held, only want to record a couple of there piece's, but would like to be able to zoom in on lead guatarist when he doe's his thing lol, also lead singer is hot . thanks again this is getting quite interesting xx
Grin
20 Aug 2011 2:51PM
Very impressive indeed. I didn't realize a camera's built in mic could achieve such good results Smileand I was listening through a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones connected to a Kenwood amp, as opposed to smaller PC speakers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.