Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 6D official specs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 7:22 AM

So, here it comes

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Sep 2012 - 7:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MattB1987
MattB1987 e2 Member 2406 forum postsMattB1987 vcard England
17 Sep 2012 - 8:19 AM

Very interesting, how does this compare to a 5d MkII? Could be a nice alternative to the D600 if the UK price is a bit more sensible.
Matt

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315546 forum posts England
17 Sep 2012 - 8:22 AM

LOL.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 8:34 AM

Has this been officially released anywhere as those specs seem strange to me , only 11 point focus ???? according to those specs you would be better buying a 5D2 ..

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53512 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 9:11 AM

Built in GPS - seems a waste to me. But if this means an "Affordable" FF body then interested Smile

pulsar69
17 Sep 2012 - 9:50 AM

Feeling a bit underwhelmed with those specs and cant quite see the market here ?
negatives for me :
11 point focus
Touch Screen not necessary
GPS not necessary
Scene Modes on a full frame lol
only splash resistant ?
No CF card support
price will prob be way to high !!

positives:
Possibly a stop higher iso than the 5D2
Digic 5 processor should be faster and better IQ possibly - tbc
slightly faster fps vs 5D2

So all that take into account as a 5D2 user this would need to come in at around 1700 pound to be competitive.

Anyone excited about any of the features seen ?

pulsar69
17 Sep 2012 - 9:52 AM

Oh and its quite interesting timing too seen as Canon have just announced the temp closure of three Japanses plants due to the somewhat rising tension between China and Japan over a group of islands which appear to have large oil reserves nearby !! , we could be waiting a while to see the arrival of this camera !

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 10:20 AM

Well, hands on preview already!

GarethRobinson
17 Sep 2012 - 10:28 AM

nothing exciting and the price will need to reflect that.

Coleslaw
17 Sep 2012 - 10:40 AM

No, not exciting at all. In some way, I am glad it isn't exciting as I just bought the 5D3 not long ago!

Interesting but very true summary in dpreview:

Quote: We've not spent enough time with the EOS 6D to fully get to grips with it yet, but there's little doubt that it looks like a highly-competent camera on paper. The addition of built-in Wi-Fi and GPS probably won't immediately grab traditionalists, but we can envisage all sorts of situations where they'll be useful, from geotagging your travel shots to remote-controlling your camera from your smartphone.

The elephant in the room, though, is the Nikon D600 - a camera that offers a higher spec in several key areas, with its 39-point AF system (including 9 cross-type), 100% viewfinder, 2016 pixel colour-sensitive metering, faster 5.5 fps shooting, dual card slots and excellent movie spec (including such things as clean HDMI output and a headphone socket for sound monitoring). In many areas the 6D just comes up slightly short in comparison, and the question is whether merely being highly competent will be enough to win the hearts and cash of buyers. This is further complicated by the fact that, in principle at least, you can buy (or at least order) a D600 today, whereas the 6D won't be in the shops for some time yet.

The counter-argument is that many of the D600's advantages won't make a whole lot of difference for the majority of users - how often do you really need to record files to two different cards, for example? - and in our estimation a lot will hinge on how well the 6D's autofocus system behaves in practice. If it proves positive and accurate with off-centre subjects (a clear weakness of the EOS 5D series prior to the Mark III), then many users will probably be very happy with it.
The 6D is clearly aimed at tempting APS-C owners to upgrade to full frame, but here Canon has given itself another problem. Its EF-S lenses simply won't fit on the 6D, so users with a decent collection - perhaps the 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - will have to buy a new lens set to use with it. At which point the barrier to switching systems becomes rather lower, and the temptation to change brands stronger. On the other hand, let's not forget that Canon's EF lens lineup is very strong indeed, with a large number of reasonably-affordable fast primes to go alongside the workhorse 'L' series zooms, and more-esoteric optics such as the unique MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro.

Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 17 Sep 2012 - 10:40 AM
ghibby
ghibby e2 Member 8100 forum postsghibby vcard United Kingdom
17 Sep 2012 - 11:04 AM

What a yawn this new Canon Full framer is. Seriously the guys over at Canon R&D have not produced a truly ground breaking camera since the 5Dmk2 in 2008. What is going on, Nikon are leaving them in their wake in dynamic range and resolution now. The days of Canons superiority seem a long way back.

When will we see a more focused and serious camera to compete. I am a long time Canon user, no intention to jump fence as I feel the lens range is the best out there but I am monumentally disappointed with the product range at this stage. Canon really need to stop resting on their laurels and start innovating again.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 11:21 AM

Quote: how does this compare to a 5d MkII?

6d.jpg

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 11:33 AM

The CET review is rather more favourable in comparing the 6D and D600

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-6d-body/4505-6501_7-35437982.h...

It seems as though the 6D is an 'upgrade' in terms of entry to FF, rather than being a functional upgrade of the APS-C range. So many people tout the 'huge' image superiority of full frame over APS-C, that if you do not want/need the high burst rate of the 7D surely this is a great upgrade for some? I remeber when video was added to the 5D, I among others mused over what the price of the 5D would be if a lot of the 'superfluous' functions (with regards taking pictures) were removed for thos who simply wanted a FF camera and it seems this is what this camera is (basically a FF version of the still excellent 30D).

The range now seems to comprise:
1D series for rugged, high use/abuse outdoor photography
5D3 is essentially a functional 1D for those who do not need to pro-standard build and bulk
6D is for those who want a full frame for studio and landscape - it is not weather sealed by neither was my 30D and that survived a few rough days. probably also decent occasional wildlife just like the 30D and 5Dmk1 were
7D which compromises FF for high functionality

That seems a decent set of cameras to me - you get to choose exactly what you want from a camera.

The camera market is now pretty mature and the days of quantum leaps is gone but I think people still expect huge advances and invariably end up disappointed.

janovilas
janovilas  10217 forum posts England
17 Sep 2012 - 11:49 AM

I was initially quite enthusiastic about the 6D, but then I saw that the storage was SD only... All of my current DSLRs take CF cards and I have no desire at the moment to invest in a separate set of memory cards for another camera. Shame as the remote shooting side of things looked really rather interesting...

Any clues yet as to whether this will take the same batteries as the 7D or something new and expensive?

ChrisV
ChrisV  7718 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 11:53 AM

This does seem a little bit like a deliberately hobbled beast in order to place it significantly below the 5DmkIII.

But it does have one or two attractive features over the D600. Sensitivity range two stops higher and the built in WiFi/GPS which crucially supports remote shooting from an Android/IOS device. Personally I'd find the latter particularly attractive - the thought of getting control and a live view feed through an iPad is particularly mouthwatering.

Considering the current price of the 7D, I can't see this being particularly cheap and like the D600 I expect the price on its release to be set unrealistically high. I think if the street price of these cameras were to eventually settle to around the 1400 mark they'd be strong sellers and a little closer to justifying the claim 'affordable' FF [or 35mm format if you prefer] DSLR.

For the time being I think these are pitched as high as they are to prevent cannibalisation of sales of the higher models, presumably so costs can be recouped on those fairly quickly. We'll see a rebalancing of price/volume in the coming months, I expect.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.