Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 6D official specs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 3:14 PM

It seems a little strange to me that they make it an entry level spec but encase it a mag alloy body which only the 7d, 5d III and 1d's have....surely a cost could have been saved here?
As for the wifi and remote shooting from a tablet or phone etc seems again a bit of a gimmick as you can do remote shooting on all Canon Slr's via the Canon software...ok you are tethered by a usb cable but ive got a 20mtr one and it works fine....I wonder just how far the range will be on the wifi?

Roll on the 6d mk II or a full frame 7d mk II which is already here in the form of the 5d mk III !!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Sep 2012 - 3:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Christographer_Hull

I'm finding this quite tempting. Currently a 550d user with majority of lenses able to be used on FF so that isn't a problem. Currently on SD cards anyway, a bit faster shooting but IQ and highly increased noise control for under 2000, brilliant! Although will probably wait till it comes under 1500.

User_Removed
18 Sep 2012 - 10:00 AM

Just seen the official stuff from Park Cameras this morning.

My initial thought is that, as an "entry level" full-frame, Canon have at least put a decent price differential between the 6D and the 5Diii which should help sales (compared to the almost negligible price differential between the Nikon D600 and D800)

In the short term, I can see Canon being more successful at getting current users of Canon crop-sensor cameras to upgrade the the 6D but, as most early buyers of both the 6D and D600 are likely to be existing Canon and Nikon users respectively, I don't see either model causing folk to switch brands.

In the slightly longer term, if new users with no existing brand allegiance (and stock of lenses, etc.) are considering either as their first dSLR, then the Nikon would seem to offer a better deal in terms of specification, even at its slightly higher price.

But I am not sure how many completely new dSLR users will consider a 1500+ full-frame as their first adventure into dSLR photography, so maybe existing brand loyalty will be the prevalent factor.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 10:49 AM

It's tempting to regard the 6D as 'just an entry level' camera, but that may be doing it an injustice.

The 6D has a mag alloy body, and an improved AF system over the 5D2 - and if the new sensor shows a similar improvement in high ISO performance which the 5D3 showed this camera could be an excellent landscape/studio/wedding camera (which coincidentally was the exact same specialization which characterized the 5D and 5D2).

SD only is a real shame though.

Price will be key. If the price drops to below 1500 (1400 even), Canon may have a winner.

ghibby
ghibby e2 Member 8100 forum postsghibby vcard United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 - 1:22 PM

It seems pretty clear to me that Canons real plan is to run down the stock of the 5Dmk2 (which is now a 4 year old product and served them very well). The new 6D is effectively going to take over this market position and I'm sure will be cheaper to produce as it will undoubtedly have more component commonality with the current range of cameras: for example the Digi 4 used in the 5Dmk2 will be phased out and all DSLR's will use the more advance Digi 5 and 5+ processors.

So in reality what we have in marketing terms is a new camera, good for sales and compulsive up-graders, BUT for the consumer a re-bodied and warmed over 5Dmk2. The big disappointment is that while the 5Dmk3 is undoubtedly a good camera, especially with regard to build quality and durability it offers no real world gain in image quality over the Mk2. The 6D will in all likelihood offer similar image quality. What this means is that the full frame market for Canon has not seen a significant improvement in image quality since Sept 2008 when the 5Dmk2 was launched. So while the consumer gets choice in model specs we don't have any choice in real world image quality with full frame Canon's.

I think that for the photographer this is a bad thing. Nikon have improved enormously in the same time frame with regards to image quality and also resolution. Canon really need to buck their ideas up in the sensor R&D dept in my opinion. Sony are also catching up and at this stage I think they pose a massive threat to both Canon and Nikon's current leading market positions. Perhaps the best thing for the consumer is for Sony to take the Number 1 spot in the next few years as this will hopefully frighten the big two into a process of innovation rather than the 'Me Too' offerings they are producing too frequently at the moment, Canon especially.

Ben

Steppenwolf
18 Sep 2012 - 1:51 PM

Quote: Sony are also catching up and at this stage I think they pose a massive threat to both Canon and Nikon's current leading market positions. Perhaps the best thing for the consumer is for Sony to take the Number 1 spot in the next few years as this will hopefully frighten the big two into a process of innovation rather than the 'Me Too' offerings they are producing too frequently at the moment, Canon especially.

Ben

Sony are already the leaders in sensor design. They're also the leaders in technical innovation - which is what alienates them from the traditionalists who buy Canikon. The A99 is a genuinely interesting camera rather than these marketing exercises from Canikon (6D and 600D). But Sony will never take the number one spot for the simple reason that most people aren't interested in technical innovation - they just want the same familiar thing, but just a bit better - nothing too frightening like multi-mode phase detect AF. That's maybe a bit unfair on Nikon because the D800 is innovative, unlike Canon's new stuff. Same old.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
18 Sep 2012 - 1:59 PM

The same was true for Minolta - willing to try new approaches, some of which were eyed warily by the photo press at the time. Perhaps the Minolta DNA is still active at Sony.

mattw
18 Sep 2012 - 2:47 PM

Quote: The big disappointment is that while the 5Dmk3 is undoubtedly a good camera, especially with regard to build quality and durability it offers no real world gain in image quality over the Mk2

From looking at the sample images, the 5D3 does look like it offers a good step up in high ISO image quality.

One expects the 6D to have similar (or even better) high ISO performance, which does beg the question why Cannon are launching two cameras with such a similar spec with 6 months. Perhaps if Canon had been able to price the 5D3 correctly, there would have been no need for the 6D?

Quote: think that for the photographer this is a bad thing. Nikon have improved enormously in the same time frame with regards to image quality and also resolution. Canon really need to buck their ideas up in the sensor R&D dept in my opinion.

The 5D2 was released in 2008 - and Nikon only caught up this year...

If past form is any guide, then give it a couple of years, and Canon will be back ahead.

justin c
justin c  104535 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 2:53 PM

Quote: The big disappointment is that while the 5Dmk3 is undoubtedly a good camera, especially with regard to build quality and durability it offers no real world gain in image quality over the Mk2.

Perhaps not for stills, but the video quality is certainly an improvement, with the issues of moire and aliasing greatly improved Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 2:57 PM

My goodness Matt, you do sound like a fan boy...Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 2:59 PM

Canon seem to have decided on only modest changes to their cameras. The new S110 compact is a case in point. Same sensor, same zoom range and max apertures as the S100.

Just adds touch screen and wifi. (But loses GPS).

mattw
18 Sep 2012 - 3:00 PM

I just buy whatever brand your using Cole!

Scottelly
Scottelly  235 forum posts United States
19 Sep 2012 - 6:54 AM

Pathetic Canon. Only 20 megapixels? I guess the 5 D Mk III has been selling slowly, huh? This new camera better hit the street under $2,000, or it probably won't sell many copies.

Sony need only make a 5 fps competitor for $1,995.00, with an 8 fps mode and their awesome 24 megapixel sensor (and 14 bit raw capabilities that can now be found in the A99), and they will chew up this camera and spit it out. I'm thinking it might just be called the A97 maybe.

Scottelly
19 Sep 2012 - 7:04 AM

Nikon just caught up? No . . . Nikon just blew Canon out of the water. The D800 is FAR superior in image quality to ANYTHING that Canon produces. Not only is the D800 cheaper, but it captures superior dynamic range AND image detail. It even shoots faster than the 5 D Mk II. So the 5 D Mk III gained one frame per second. Gee.

Canon is losing their . . .

Well, we will see, but I believe that Canon needs to solve their dynamic range problem, add a 4 D to their line, with two CF card slots, 6 fps full resolution shooting capability, and super high resolution sensor, and they will be back on track. (BTW, this would be easy to do. Already they have the electronics in the 1Dx to accomplish 6 fps at 36 MP per image.)

Scottelly
19 Sep 2012 - 7:15 AM

I like this:

"As usual at this level the screen itself is fixed, rather than articulated as with the 60D the camera is modeled on - Canon says this is for maximum durability and minimum size."

I say BULL SH!T. The 60 D is smaller than this new 6 D. It is lighter too. But the 60 D has the same size screen . . . except that it is a fold-out screen. Oh, and are people breaking off their screens on their 60 D cameras? NO. Sure, you can claim that there is more durability, but the fact is that Canon is just saving a little money here, and for some stupid reason they are not waking up and smelling the roses. In the future, almost all cameras will have fold-out screens. Just look at video cameras today, compared to the years way in the past, before there were large view screens on video cameras. BTW, I actually think the fold-out screens make the cameras that have them actually MORE durable. Why? Because you can turn the screen around, fold it in, and it is protected. Then you don't have to worry about scratching your screen, as you walk, with your camera hanging at your side.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.