Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 6D official specs

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 2:20PM

Quote:11 point AF system, center point cross-type
ouch
No pop-up flash for a "non-pro" camera.
double ouch

Agreed, the out and about use of the popup flash on my 60 D is good sometimes; Also the 9 point ALL CROSS focus points on the 60D suggests the 60D should be better at focusing moving targets etc.

Its got Digic5 but i don't see this used for speed, perhaps its for part of the noise performance ISO increase and in camera HDR.

If it had a Touch screen then missing a flip out screen might be OK but it seems to be missing a trick by excluding it - those close to ground macro's really benefit from a flip screen.

Price - Still a steep jump from a 60D, but tempting for next year.
Why not a 2nd hand 5DMK2 - just because i like new features as a hobbyist.
Why a FF over the 60D - I have an irrational view that FF gives you some magic kudos, and that bigger pixel sites should give better colour depth.

Will a 6D last in the market for 4 years like the 5D MK2, probably not, but the 6DMK2 is probally further off than i want to wait for.
Its likely I'll really be trying for this next year predominately for studio work, unless Nikon/Sony further widen the gap that see solid Canon looking a bit weak in comparison. (I'll probably be selling the 60D to help towards funding it).

New Lenses - As i have a mix of only one 10-20mm wide angle EF-s lens from Sigma, and the FOV of a FF is wider than a APS-c so i may not need to replace that just yet.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 9:38PM
not impressed with the spec to be honest, I own the 5d mark ii and there's not much there with the 6d that i would be crazy about, my next buy is the 5d mark iii now there's a camera worth buying.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 8:56AM
If you own the 5DII already wy would you expect anything to impress you? Surely the one to impress you is the 5Diii.
Surely the 6D is meant to be an entry level full frame for those who can't afford the 5Diii....
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 10:18AM

Quote:If you own the 5DII already wy would you expect anything to impress you? Surely the one to impress you is the 5Diii.
Surely the 6D is meant to be an entry level full frame for those who can't afford the 5Diii....

I agree, the target market for this camera is probably people like me who have a 40D/50D/60D etc who may decide to go full frame but are not prepared to pay the price for the 5DIII and may have thought about a 7D as replacement.

Any way there is no point in getting excited, if it launches in December it will no doubt take till April or later of next year for its price to become sensible. The WiFi sounds like the best feature as you can remote run the camera from a smart phone and that sounds potentially good. But the rest sounds not so hot and the AF, well lets see how it works but it sounds poor. Perhaps the question is how does it work with the F4 L series and is it better than the 5D MKII. But I think Canon have set themselves up with a camera that only has low cost to really save it.

The only way I can see it sell is if it is lower priced than the 5D MKII is now. Is that clever??? My thinking is 200 more than a 7D and it may be worth it.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 11:43AM
I have 5D, and this 6D might be an interesting one to move on to at some time. But no hurry.
It is the prospect of light weight and wifi control that sound most interesting.
If the 5D ever breaks down, this might be a better option than another 5D series.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.