Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon 70 - 200 f2.8 MKII

Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2011 8:44PM
I received this lens yeaterday. By 'eck lad. Worra cracker.

I have no empirical evidence for what I am about to say just a feeling after shooting with it all day.
Is there any reason why on my 7D body I should find more blown highlights with this lens. I might be wrong about this but it's just a feeling I get from chimping every shot, that more highlights seem to be blown than on my 24 - 105 or the 400 f5.6 which are the other 2 which I use most often.

Any observations would be gratefully received

But it is a gorgeous piece of glass.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
18 Jun 2011 9:15PM
Might just be the light itself being odd with you - but different lenses will have slightly different light capturing abilities - even when rated the same (I once compared a 300mm f2.8 to a 70-200mm f2.8 and the 300mm was much brighter in the viewfinder). It should be taken into account by the camera, but if its still giving you trouble a little -1/3EC and you're good to go.

Also try putting a 2*TC on the lens - becomes a great close up lens then for flowers and the like (and its pretty good long distance too)
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
18 Jun 2011 9:26PM
It's a '2.8' Pete. It's a brighter lens by design. Just give more consideration to the EV's...

Enjoy!
Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2011 9:28PM
Thanks overread. I'm not really worried, just curious. I spent an hour this afternoon at a small civil war re-enactment display at Lancaster castle. I'm just looking at the pics now and I'm absolutely stunned by the sharpness and the colour. I doubt I shall have to do anything worth speaking of in PS. Just beautiful.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.