Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 70-200 F2.8 vs F4 IS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AndyD999
    AndyD999  243 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 2:53 PM

Just a quick one for you to decided on.

I am wanting a canon 70-200mm and have had a look at the F4 IS and the F2.8 Non IS.

Which one would you all recommend. My budget wont stretch to the F2.8 IS so thats out of the questions.

I will be using the lens for mountain biking events and as a second shooter at weddings so need it to be good in low light.

The body it will be on is a Canon 7D just for reference

Thanks
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Apr 2013 - 2:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8494 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 3:10 PM

The f4 with IS will give you more advantage in low light than the extra stop of the 2.8
    Unless you need the shallower depth of field of the 2.8 for any particular reason, I would say the f4 is definitely the one to go for. (Plus it's a lot lighter to carry around!)

ikett
    ikett e2 Member 3317 forum postsikett vcard England
    24 Apr 2013 - 3:10 PM

Hi, the f2.8 non IS is a great lens, but along with the 300 non IS f2.8L, Canon no longer supply parts, if they develop a fault you have a problem.

This may help with your choice.

Ian

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45757 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 3:21 PM

I had the same dilemma when I was buying and went for the f4LIS and I have not regretted it(not that I shoot weddings).
    Several websites show that all four versions of that lens (f2.8, f4 with and without IS) are pretty much identical when it comes to IQ and I decided I do not need the shallow depth of field that f2.8 gives; and as roger says the IS will be more useful than the wider aperture. I have read several photographers say that they have the f2.8 for weddings the bought the f4LIS for leisure because of the size and weight.

Dave_Canon
    24 Apr 2013 - 3:35 PM

I have the f2.8 IS and things worth considering are:-

f2.8 - the great advantage is not mainly to do with shallow depth of field which I rarely use but it is to do with speed of focussing. Also if you later buy the 1.4x or 2x extender the auto-focusing may not be possible for the f4 version.

You wont need to use the IS for high speed action shots where you will presumably set a very fast shutter speed anyway but very useful for more general photography.

The f4 lens is significantly lighter which may or may not be important to you. My f2.8 IS weight 1.5 kG and, as I have a bad back, I frequently leave it at home now because of the weight. However, I would not give it up as when I really need it, birds in flight, motor sport etc. it is a superb lens.

Dave

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 4:36 PM

I use the F4L IS for sports(IS off) and fashion/portrait work with IS on.
    It also works fine with a 1.4tc.
    Highly recommended, very versatile and lightweight lens.

AndyD999
    AndyD999  243 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 5:03 PM

The weight issue is not a problem really it is more the fact of which will be better in the situations the 2.8 or the F4

thanks for all the help.

andy

elowes
    elowes  92829 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 6:12 PM

The f4 IS version is probably the best lens I have ever owned for portraits. It is as good as or even better than the 24-105. The only thing I think I have used that is better is an RB67 which I had access to many years ago.

On the 7D with the 1.4 converter I find it a little disappointing though I do stretch things to the limit and perhaps need to use a tripod more often!!

tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3128 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 8:45 PM

Quote: Hi, the f2.8 non IS is a great lens, but along with the 300 non IS f2.8L, Canon no longer supply parts, if they develop a fault you have a problem.

Ian

Quote: Hi, the f2.8 non IS is a great lens, but along with the 300 non IS f2.8L, Canon no longer supply parts, if they develop a fault you have a problem.

Ian

Where do you get this from
    ?
    This lens is still on the available on the canon US and UK sites and available new

This is not usual for a currently stocked lens to have a lack of serviceability

Last Modified By tpfkapm at 24 Apr 2013 - 8:47 PM
    ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 9:22 PM

bigger lenses look cool

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 6290 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom220 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 9:41 PM

I have the 2.8 IS version. Heavy yes but carried in an appropriate backpack I don't notice the weight even on full day hikes. IQ is first class and despite the additional cost I went for the 2.8 for the brighter viewfinder the extra stop gives, additional depth of field which I use and primarily for extending the range with a 1.4x converter without losing too much dof and maintaining autofocus.

For wedding photography the extra dof reduction is useful and gives that bit more control. For Motorsport where panning negates IS usefulness the extra stop may allow you to select a shutter speed at a lower ISO to create the image you are after. From those Pro Photographers I know who work in sport primarily they have gone for the wider and more expensive telephoto lenses so that may give an indication they value the f2.8 more for their work but then again they earn their living from it.

If possible you could always hire the lenses to try for a day to see which suits your needs most and which one you feel then you can live with.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.