Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 70-200mm f4 or f2.8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

andyyvette
2 Mar 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi everybody,

Looking at the canon 70-200mm L lenses after selling a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which had been a great lens for me just a bit soft at 200 and wide open, and I've been reading the canon are pretty much sharp right across their range.
I do some equestrian photography and this tends to be outside from spring to late summer when hopefully the light is better. I am also looking at doing some family and portrait shots with a studio kit I have, the lights are 400w. I think with the equestrian theres the chance i'll miss the extra stop with the f4 if the light drops but also would like to hear if anyone has used the 70-200's for studio work and how well they do with studio lighting.

Thanks

Andy

Last Modified By andyyvette at 2 Mar 2012 - 12:50 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2012 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Craggwildlife
Craggwildlife e2 Member 672 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 6:22 PM

if you can afford it go for the f2.8
gives you far more options..

Regards
dlp

Last Modified By Craggwildlife at 2 Mar 2012 - 6:24 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 6:27 PM

I would check out the size and weight of the f4.0 first though. That's what sold me on the f4.0L, I can manage to walk around with it without crippling myself.Smile

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104044 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 7:06 PM

f2.8 is weighty, but worth it. I am a weak and feeble woman and manage it quite well Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56545 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 8:45 PM

Which f4 are you looking at?
If it is the f4L IS then consider the f2.8L non-IS. I am presuming that with equestrian the shutter speeds are in the region of /1200 which means you can get away with handheld (and use a monopod for even better stability).

Granddad
Granddad e2 Member 7Granddad vcard United Kingdom
2 Mar 2012 - 9:30 PM

I would go for the 70-200 mm f2.8L non IS which is what i have and it is a great lens.

Dave.

Dave_Canon
2 Mar 2012 - 10:35 PM

I have the 70-200 f2.8 L IS and it is a great lens. When it comes to challenging focussing like birds in flight the f2.8 really helps whether using manual or auto focusing. Also you can certainly use the 1.4x extender and still have auto-focussing. I also use this lens for some studio shots. I mainly use it for natural light shots where I may need the aperture but do use it with studio flash for some shots. I have probably missed the point because I am not sure what problem you might expect with studio lighting. I would have thought problems would be more likely with a wide lens where you can suffer from flare (low contrast) if you do not use a lens hood and leave filters on but this is much less likely with the long lens though I still always use a lens hood and no filters.

There is no denying that this 1.5 Kg lens is heavy but I still think it is worth it. I have had several owners of f4's offering me money and a lens swap but I would not consider it.

Dave

User_Removed
2 Mar 2012 - 11:20 PM

Quote: weak and feeble woman

I'm scared of you Sarah!!!!

Wink Wink Wink Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Mar 2012 - 11:22 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43956 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2012 - 11:15 AM

Go for the 2.8 if you can afford it. AF still works if you add a 2x converter.
As for the weight, use a Black Rapid strap (they even have one shaped for the female upper body) and you won't notice the weight.

Malc

ARI
ARI  11504 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Mar 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have got the ef70-200 2.8mk 11 alng with the ef x2mk111. I tried this combination a couple of mths ago and was impressed. I have ot yet used my new toys. HDEW Cameras were sellng the lens fr 1505 and the x2 fr 349 .

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104044 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2012 - 3:11 PM

Quote: I'm scared of you Sarah!!!!Wink Wink Wink Wink

LOL Gerry Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2012 - 7:44 PM

____

whipspeed
3 Mar 2012 - 9:09 PM

Quote: Go for the 2.8 if you can afford it. AF still works if you add a 2x converter.
As for the weight, use a Black Rapid strap (they even have one shaped for the female upper body) and you won't notice the weight.

Malc

I can certainly vouch for that, those straps are brilliant

andyyvette
5 Mar 2012 - 4:36 PM

hi all,

sorry for the late reply, thanks for all the comments. think i'll be holding out for the 2.8 (is or non is still in debate) after having it on the sigma i'd probably miss it. anyone have any thoughts about the f2.8 is mark i version (dave- is that the one you have?) the mark ii is a dream at the prices i've seen. seen some mark i versions on ebay (would only consider if all my buying criteria boxes were ticked).

thanks again

andy

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2012 - 5:27 PM

hi andy i just sold my 70/200 2.8 non IS & got the f/4 IS it so much more sharper & lighter , even very sharp with the 1.4 extender on , i used to have the 70/200 f2.8 mk I IS but got rid of it because it was to soft at the 200 end even more rubbish with the 1.4 extender on . see here here[/link] & here the f/4 IS is a cracker !!! i would say it is sharper than my 300 f2.8 it's that good Wink

Last Modified By colin beeley at 5 Mar 2012 - 5:30 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.