Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 7D firmware update.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 - 10:01 PM

Canon are shortly to offer a major update for the 7D see here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2012 - 10:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC
EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 9:01 AM

I could not get the link to work.

Did you mean This update?

It is apparently available in early august and there is a link to a video explaining the new features just over halfway down the page.

Last Modified By EddieAC at 3 Jul 2012 - 9:03 AM
mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 9:42 AM

Looking forward to the upgrade Grin thanks for the heads-up

EddieAC
EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 10:50 AM

Got the working link.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 2:13 PM

good upgrade especially for continuous shooting in raw

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 2:31 PM

Suggests the 7D is not going to be replaced any time soon, despite being around for 3 years (a long time in the digi-world! Wink)

Maybe Canon is gearing itself up for its much rumoured entry into mirrorless: this autumn, so it is said - not that anyone outside Canon really knows. Lol!

mikehit
mikehit  46154 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 2:42 PM

An interesting point, CB. When the 5DIII was announced there were some comments that the 7D2 was being delayed while Canon worked out what their model line-up would look like.
But if the 7D has the facilities (still has AF system to match almost anything else at its price) then why not just add new software. Is this a case of marketing realism starting to come to the fore?

Steppenwolf
3 Jul 2012 - 2:53 PM

It's still much more expensive than the Sony A77 which matches or beats it in all departments including image quality - quite apart from being lighter, smaller, having many more features and the best video of any DSLR-type camera. I guess Canon needed to remind everyone it's still there. Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 2:59 PM

Does anyone still buy Sony DSLRs? I get the impression Sony themselves have largely lost interest and are concentrating on pushing their NEX system. Smile

Last Modified By Carabosse at 3 Jul 2012 - 3:01 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46154 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 3:05 PM

Oh, look.. The Sony fanboy is back Wink

Quote: having many more features

Anything I would find useful? The AF on the 7D seems to be superior (so much for 'all departments') and better for action and that is why I bought it. The cameras are about two years apart and if they do update the 7D it will probably leapfrog the A77.

Sorry to be short but the thread was about updating the 7D and possibly extending the life of the 7D not about its comparison with other marques.

Edited to add: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Sony-A77

Last Modified By mikehit at 3 Jul 2012 - 3:08 PM
strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 3:06 PM

LO nice one SW, and to think you accused me of being a Troll. Smile

Keep going Sony need the sales.

Carabosse
3 Jul 2012 - 3:08 PM

Quote: The Sony fanboy is back

Be fair Mike....................... even Sony DSLRs have to have one fanboy! Wink

Quote: they do update the 7D it will probably leapfrog the A77

Well that's the thing isn't it? By means of firmware updates you can end up with what is effectively a new camera. Other than the megapixels - but who (amongst enthusiasts) care about that these days.

Steppenwolf
3 Jul 2012 - 3:43 PM

Quote: Does anyone still buy Sony DSLRs? I get the impression Sony themselves have largely lost interest and are concentrating on pushing their NEX system. Smile

Your impression is wrong. Sony DSLRs are dead of course, but the SLTs are alive and kicking. The A37, A57 and A77 seem to be selling very well. The next camera is the pro FF A99 which is due soon. Sony are still introducing new Alpha lenses - the most recent being a 500mm f4 pro lens. It's not like Olympus who have canned their DSLR lenses to concentrate on M4:3. They're committed to marketing both Alpha and NEX and have the budget to do it.

Quote: Well that's the thing isn't it? By means of firmware updates you can end up with what is effectively a new camera. Other than the megapixels - but who (amongst enthusiasts) care about that these days.

Slight exaggeration. You can improve the software - and in this case Canon have given the 7D a bigger buffer. You can't improve the hardware and the most significant improvements in digital cameras are in hardware (the sensor, etc).

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 3 Jul 2012 - 3:52 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43607 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 3:47 PM

'Scuse my ignorance, but I have to ask, never having done a firmware update to a dslr before...but are their any potential pitfalls to this? Way back in the depths of my mind, I seem to recall people having reported that certain things didn't work after doing an update. Or am I remembering wrong?

Malc

Carabosse
3 Jul 2012 - 3:49 PM

Well SLTs are certainly a niche market. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.