Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon 7D Review

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2009 - 8:48 PM

Nice review here

Also compared against the 5Dii in the review.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Nov 2009 - 8:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2009 - 9:01 PM

That's a very good review. Thanks for the link.

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2009 - 9:11 PM

Well Found and a very good review...Im considering one myself and have been waiting for some unbiased reviews.
Many Thanks for the Link

DuncanDisorderly

The results against the 5DII are shocking; I'm genuinely surprised there is so much difference.
Thanks for posting the link.

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
9 Nov 2009 - 7:03 PM

Friends,

I had a look at the 7D at the John Lewis store at Cardiff during the weekend.

A lovely camera and wonderful to hold. It focuses quickly and to my eye, the image in the viewfinder is very clear. It has more buttons on the back of it than my 450D, of course. Their price for the body is 1699!!

Searching on Google, I came across a price of 1101, but I forget the website.

My wife gave me a look, that I believe I correctly perceived to mean ' Dream On, boyo! ' OK, I will. Smile

Frank.

strawman
strawman  1021998 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2009 - 11:35 PM

The comparison to the 5D MKII is interesting, and just re-enforces the feeling I have that the 5D MKII sensor ought to have been paired up with the revised AF and Flash control system plus slightly beefed up body.

Have you noticed the RAW processing section has been updated. The processed low ISO shots look good, the high ISO ones leave the 5D ahead. I wonder if there is a penalty in terms of dynamic range for the smaller sensor camera.

Last Modified By strawman at 9 Nov 2009 - 11:39 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2009 - 11:37 PM

Our review went up earlier this evening: Canon EOS 7D

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2009 - 5:50 AM

Quote: The comparison to the 5D MKII is interesting, and just re-enforces the feeling I have that the 5D MKII sensor ought to have been paired up with the revised AF and Flash control system plus slightly beefed up body.

I agree that the flash control and new AF will be welcome upgrades come the 5D mark 3.

But slightly beefed up body? Has the build of the 7D improved over the 5D2?

strawman
10 Nov 2009 - 12:55 PM

It was my understanding the 7D had better sealing. I have handled both, but not at the same time so I could be wrong. The 5D MKII looked/felt to be constructed the same as my 40D, (Heavier but the same construction and sealing techniques) while the 7D to my eyes looked to have better weatherproofing (though I did not look hard at the flash area which is a weak point IMHO of all the APS cameras I have seen).

I could be wrong, but as they were friends cameras it did not look right to get the screwdriver set out to see how they were put together Wink

The 7D felt like a toughened up 40D, but that could be caused by sub-concious reaction to its weight and revised grip.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
11 Nov 2009 - 6:49 PM

Quote:
But slightly beefed up body? Has the build of the 7D improved over the 5D2?

I was reading a post somewhere from someone who repairs cameras, and he was unimpressed by the 5D2 build, having seen inside. The 7D presumably gets close to the sort of AF and build normally reserved for the 1D and 1Ds range.

Elmer
Elmer  4 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2009 - 10:36 PM

I was seriously considering buying the 7D until I came across this review:

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/

Snapper
Snapper  93702 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2009 - 10:53 PM

Quote: I was seriously considering buying the 7D until I came across this review:

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/

LINK

strawman
16 Nov 2009 - 10:54 PM

If you look you will see plenty of people picked up flaws in the process that reviewer uses. It has turned up in Fred Mirand and DPREVIEW etc.

If you want, DPREVIEW have compared the D300S, and the 7D together in their respective reviews (also including the 50D). Their conclusion not a lot in it at low ISO, at higher ISO the 50D is not as good.

Now for my controversial contribution. I up-sized a couple of ISO200 shots I took using a 7D, my 50 f1.8 @ F5.6 and some similar, but not identical images from my 40D. I up-sized to 18" x 12" for both cameras @ 300DPI, using DPP to process the RAW then sharpened for print. I took some slices of the images printed @ 300DPI. To my surprise not a lot in it.

I expected nothing in it at A4, a negligible difference @ A3 and a noticeable difference at 18" x 12".

The more I look at it the more I think 7D is a major functional upgrade from the 40D/50D, but a minor step in photo quality. Which in the end is probably fair.

I ought to try and get my hands on a 7D for longer to carry our more controlled back to back tests. Also there are questions on how DPP by default processes the 7D images.

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
22 Nov 2009 - 10:39 PM

Friends,

the 7D will definitely be my next camera purchase. The only question is when!

Searching on the 'net, the best price so far is from Plemix.com? Has anyone used them? WarehouseExpress is also good.

Does any company do part-exchange? Also, as VAT is increasing in January, would it be wise to purchase a 7D before then?

Frank.

strawman
22 Nov 2009 - 10:47 PM

The price is still falling, VAT rise is 2.5% I make that under 35 and its been falling @ 100 per month so far. A friend bought theirs at 1,500 a month back and my local dealer had them @ 1,299 this weekend. T4 do trade in as do others.

I have never heard of plexmi and stick to main dealers myself. For a few pounds the extra support and service outweighs any saving.

but tell me why do you want the D7? In the past you chose the 450D over the 40D and this 7D is even heavier etc than the 40D. also do you print over A3 size and do action and sport? Looking at your portfolio I am not certain what you will get from the upgrade.

Regards John

Last Modified By strawman at 22 Nov 2009 - 10:51 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.