Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon 7D terrible noise levels! Disappointed.

monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
4 Oct 2011 2:11PM
Just my input as a 5d user .. I used to shoot in RAW with noise reduction turned on for 1 sec exposures and longer. I did sometimes find when lifting darker areas that the noise became readily noticeable and some HDR software was unusable as banding and noise appeared. So I recently turned off the NR and it is so much better - and of course does away with the NR processing time.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2011 3:33PM
@ OP, am pleased your issue is somewhat resolved.

@ monstersnowman - are you sure that the setting of use noise reduction on long exposures is for anything over a second. I assumed it was for much longer exposures (where if you don't turn it on you see hot pixels type noise)
4 Oct 2011 7:12PM
No chris it is for exposures of 1 sec or longer when turned on .. the 'on - auto' setting only applies it where noise is detected and the 'on' applies it all the time but both only are applied to exposure settings of 1 sec and more.
4 Oct 2011 9:00PM
Edit - I said "only applies it where noise is detected". Obviously I dont mean it specifically applies NR in areas of an image where it is needed .. I meant to say it decides whether an image contains noise, therefore whether it needs NR or not. :o)
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2011 9:39PM
I see
110_TURNER 7 15 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 10:03PM
I actually remembered to search the forums before I ask my question - found this which confirms some of my thoughts.

I have a 5d MkII no problems with noise at 100 or 200 ISO but at 400 ISO shocking - I have switched on the optional low 50 ISO - it is on all the time at the moment - I dont understand how the camera achieves this switch on - why not have it available all the time ?

Just wondered if switching on the low range some how adjust the "scale" of visible noise if you follow what I am saying.

What would be visible > 1600 becomes visible @ 400 when the range is adjusted downwards ?

David
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 11:32PM
You cannot go lower than the native ISO of the sensor which,with Canon, is ISO 100-125. I heard an explanation that ISO 50 is really a bit of jiggery pokery where the image is overexposed to improve signal-to-noise ratio and then brought back to 'proper' exposure just as you would do in photoshop. In other words, you are shooting to the right but the camera is doing all the work for you and the latitude of the sensor stops too much getting blown out with just one stop overexposure. Cynically speaking, they have a nice marketing tool to appeal to those people who complained 'what happened to ISO 50 because I used to have it on my old camera'.
Whether it does the oversposure bit at all ISOs I don't know but it would not really make sense.

If you find the ISO at 400 'shocking' you must be hypercritical or very demanding in your final outputs because all the images I have seen have been excellent up to 800.
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 11:47PM
I agree about extended ISO, I believe it to be a software trick at the far end of the scales.

As for noise, I can clearly see it on my 5D2 shots at 400 ISO when I zoom 1:1 on an image, but it's far from 'shocking', it's visible is all. Shooting raw and then applying noise reduction in DPP or Lightroom totally eliminates it.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 11:53PM
Extended ISO downwards usually entails a bit of quality loss in dynamic range. It's mainly there so that you can open lens up or help out at high light levels with video.

ND lenses are a better bet, really.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
3 Sep 2014 12:58AM
Unless you're making a billboard, why view at any more than 100%, this is the size recommended by Adobe for use when editing. If you keep enlarging any image, you're eventually going to see noise, because it's there in all images.
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2014 1:16AM
1:1 is 100% One pixel from the camera is represented by one pixel on the screen - actual size.

Nobody said they were viewing at a higher magnification, other numbers were ISO.
frenchie44 8 239 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2014 9:45AM
i use the 7d for wildlife, its always at 400 to 800 iso, no problem with noise at all, but go up to 1600 iso and its there. but my 60D and the eos m are ok at 3200, i have never gone past 3200 iso so I do not know what they will be like, i put it down to the later processers and firmware in the cameras. I use a 50D for my IR photography and i do get noise on IR work at 400, but when i used it for normal shots its clean upto 800 iso.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.