Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    desbarnio
    desbarnio  3 Scotland
    8 Apr 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi I have asked before regarding a new lens for my Canon 450d so apologies for asking for help again
    Did buy a canon 50mm 1.8 which is a cracking lens so far.
    Still would like to replace my kit lens of 18-55mm and I am looking at the

Canon EF-S Zoom lens - 15 mm - 85 mm - F/3.5-5.6 - Canon EF 459.99 or

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens 314.99

I think my preference based on web reviews is the 15mm-85mm but thought I would ask one last time for anyone's thoughts on the two above
    Thanks again for any responses
    Craig

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Apr 2012 - 10:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LesJD
    LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
    8 Apr 2012 - 10:33 AM

If you can afford the 15-85 go for it,the extra 2mm may not sound much but in a tight spot it will come in handy.I had the 17-85 for a few days,not that great on the wide end and the CA was bad, I could have lived with it but the focusing on my copy was iffy.I exchanged it for a Sigma 17-70 (non os) which has been a great lens and I use it for 90% of my work.

Regards

Les

steve_p
    steve_p  81094 forum posts England
    8 Apr 2012 - 11:27 AM

I had two different copies of the 17-85, both of which were fine. I understand that there are mechanical/electronic issues with the 17-85 focussing system after some use. However when I bought my 600D kit, I found the 18-55 was better optically although the build quality is inferior. My suggestion is either go for a 15-85 as Les says or if budget is a bit tight get the Sigma 17-70 OS-I have one and its excellent for the price.

Steve

WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41028 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England133 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Apr 2012 - 2:24 PM

My 17-85 packed up whilst on holiday in Nepal!!! Fortunately on the last day. I replaced it with the 15-85 and I rarely use anything else now. That extra 2mm on the wide angle does make a difference, makes my Sigma 10-20 almost redundant.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.