Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon A-TTL Speedlight EZ540

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 2:23 PM

I've just found this very nice Canon A-TTL Speedlight 540EZ flashgun amongst my boxed up old camera stuff which I used on my old pre-digi EOS5, but I read that it won't be useable on a digital camera.
    Has anyone found a way round this at all? It's a shame to waste it and I know I'll not get much for it if I sell. I've got the 400D and 60D.
    Thanks
    x

Last Modified By SlowSong at 18 Apr 2013 - 2:24 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Apr 2013 - 2:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

nobby1
    nobby1 e2 Member 10nobby1 vcard United Kingdom
    18 Apr 2013 - 4:32 PM

I believe it will fire but only in manual mode.

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski e2 Member 665 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
    18 Apr 2013 - 5:39 PM

My 22 years old (mint++) canon 430 ez works on manual mode with Nikon D80 as well but attached with Slave unit or wireless trigger it could be very useful off camera lighting kit.Smile

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 5:52 PM

Oh, manual mode only. Sad Well, I can't see me using it in that case as I don't understand flash at all and if it's not auto them I'm stumped. Thanks for the info.
    Smile

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72306 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 7:41 PM

It might be worth using it via redio triggers Chris.
    One issue I was made aware of about speedlites was that the voltages can differ between old and new.
    I dont however know where your old speedlite fits in with that equation...
    Manual flash is worth an hour of experimenting with...
    All you need to consider is that 1/1 is full power(very bright) and 1/8 or 1/16 low power, or dimmer.
    Worth a try, you might enjoy it Smile

SlowSong
    18 Apr 2013 - 9:12 PM

Thanks Andrew, but you're dealing with a complete flash moron here. I'm frightened even to try it unless it messes up the electrics in the camera so in reality I think I'll just ditch it.
    But I much appreciate your input. I thought it might be a bit easier. Blush

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72306 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Apr 2013 - 1:02 PM

If you use a radio trigger/receiver, it cuts out the possibility of messing up camera electronics.
    Paul Morgan seems very knowledgeable about old flash usage with dslr camera, it may be worth sending him a pm.
    Alternatively, the new Yongnuo flash guns available are very cheap and a safe alternative to using an old flash.
    A lot of the far eastern ebay sellers sell the flash guns and also sell the RF-602/3 trigger receiver sets.

SlowSong
    19 Apr 2013 - 4:37 PM

What is this "radio trigger/receiver" thingy???? I'm sure it's not something I'd ever have a need for, but thank you for the info. Grin

arhb
    19 Apr 2013 - 4:47 PM

Well, the trigger fits onto the hotshoe of your camera body, and the receiver attaches to the base, or somewhere on your flash/speedlite,
    ultimately allowing you to use your flash off camera Smile They generally have a range of between 50m and 100m, and being a radio frequency,
    do not need to'see' each other like infra red remote does, so you trigger the flash to fire in another room if you want to.

SlowSong
    19 Apr 2013 - 4:51 PM

Oh, I get it. Used to have something similar in the old days but never used. it. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.