Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon batteries... what's the difference?


User_Removed 7 17 5 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 3:52PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between a BP-511 and a BP--511A battery?
I have a BP-511 battery that came with my Canon EOS 5D and a BP-511A that came with my Canon powershot G5 and the G6.
Both of these batteries are the same size and have the same contacts and the same voltage. They even both use the same charger. But there must be a reason for the 'A' designation on one of the batteries.
Can anyone help? Are there any potential problems swapping them between the 5D and the G5/G6?
Thank you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
23 Jul 2009 4:24PM
Does either camera have 'Intelligent' battery level monitoring?
Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
23 Jul 2009 4:31PM
I'm not sure but I think you might find that the mAh rating is higher on the BP-511A.
User_Removed 7 17 5 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 4:31PM
What is "'Intelligent' battery level monitoring" and how would I know if my cameras have it?
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
23 Jul 2009 4:38PM
RTFM...

Smile
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 4:39PM
The BP511A is an uprated BP511, just, as Terry said, a higher rating for longer life. No problems with swapping between the 5D and the G5/6.

Intelligent Battery Monitoring is something that came in with the 5D MkII - as I understand it the battery has some form of chip in it which the camera can use to identify it and record the use and charge levels. The camera can remember and identify several batteries this way.
Not sure what real-world advantage it has, other than bumping the price up and stopping people using the el cheapo (yet very good) 7dayshop BP511 alternatives Wink
User_Removed 7 17 5 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 8:19PM
Thank you for your help
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2009 9:30AM
For my 20D I had one genuine Canon battery and a respectable third party equivalent. The third party battery works fine but has only ever held half the charge of the Canon battery. For my more recent 5D MkII, it did not seem sensible to cut corners with a spare battery (apart from the intelligent monitoring) the increased capacity is well worth having. Of course I would have liked to pay less than 60 but having spent nearly 2,000 on the camera, it did not seem sensible to choose an inferior vital component.

Dave
mark_delta 7 1.3k
24 Jul 2009 10:10AM

Quote:he third party battery works fine but has only ever held half the charge of the Canon battery.

That is because it is a cheap Chinese copy filled with very poor quality low output ni cad cells and not NIMH cells, despite what the fake makers claim, uniross and Hanel do make a NIMH loaded equivalent that works but it cost around 18- 25 .
What should be noted is that the fake e.bay batteries are not designed to be charged at the high currents put out by the canon charger and usually fry and fail quite quickly...
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2009 11:18AM

Quote:Quote:he third party battery works fine but has only ever held half the charge of the Canon battery. That is because it is a cheap Chinese copy filled with very poor quality low output ni cad cells and not NIMH cells, despite what the fake makers claim, uniross and Hanel do make a NIMH loaded equivalent that works but it cost around 18- 25


Well, if that's true I wouldn't touch a Uniross nor Hahnel with a bargepole either - they are supposed to be Lithium Ion Wink

I've never had any trouble with 7dayshop BP511 equivalents, they have all lasted as well as (or better than) the Canon ones, both on charge life and overall life.
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
24 Jul 2009 11:55AM
The BP511a is a higher capacity and I believe it can also be used in certain Canon camcorders. Smile
ourpower 5 1
30 Jul 2009 9:51AM

Quote:The BP511A is an uprated BP511, just, as Terry said, a higher rating for longer life. No problems with swapping between the 5D and the G5/6.

Intelligent Battery Monitoring is something that came in with the 5D MkII - as I understand it the battery has some form of chip in it which the camera can use to identify it and record the use and charge levels. The camera can remember and identify several batteries this way.
Not sure what real-world advantage it has, other than bumping the price up and stopping people using the el cheapo (yet very good) 7dayshop BP511 alternatives


I have a question: will they third party camera battery bp 511 also has Intelligent Battery Monitoring? like this one: http://www.digital-camera-batteries.net/canon/bp-511.htm .
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
30 Jul 2009 5:51PM

Quote:I have a question: will they third party camera battery bp 511 also has Intelligent Battery Monitoring? like this one: http://www.digital-camera-batteries.net/canon/bp-511.htm .


No - the BP511 does not have it so the third-party ones won't.
The one that does (for the 5D MkII and, undoubtedly, future cameras) is the LP-E6
Briwooly 9 452 5 England
30 Jul 2009 6:04PM

Quote:The Canon BP-511A Battery Pack holds about 27% more energy than its predecessor, the Canon BP511 Battery.


Found this snip of info Smile

Brian......................................

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.