Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

canon battery grip

30 Jan 2012 3:40PM
Is any1 using 3rd party battery grips, & how are they compared to Canon's own ?
Thanx all
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 Jan 2012 4:25PM
I'm using one I got off UK Parts Deal on Ebay- cost 27 and has been great so far, nice and sturdy with good grip, have not used Canons own so can't really compare.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Jan 2012 4:28PM
Can't compare 3rd Party with Canon OEM Paul, but I had a 3rd Party grip for my Nikon D80 and then a Nikon grip for my D300.

There was no noticeable difference in quality whatsoever.

The only reason I had an OEM grip for the D300 was that it came as part of a package deal.

It is an area where big savings can be made. Typically an OEM grip will be twice the price (or more) of an equivalent 3rd Party grip.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2012 4:50PM
I've read several comments that the Hahnel grips are every bit as good as the Canon ones. But I'm just a badge tart and will stick with the OEM stuff.
30 Jan 2012 5:03PM
By the way Paul, I responded to your post about the remote wireless timer that has now been deleted.

All I was saying was that the one you linked to seemed very overpriced and should be available much cheaper direct from China/HK. From memory, the one I use on my Nikon was about 12 including postage.
30 Jan 2012 5:08PM
thanx all.

leftforum : I deleted the post because it showed my account details. Dooooh ! was about to repost. nice 1

was the one u had wireless ? the ones on fleabay from HK/China are between 28 - 60
31 Jan 2012 12:55PM
Have a 3rd party grip on my 20D and a Canon on my 7D. I found that the Canon grip feels more solidly built and appears to fit that little bit better (slight wobble but nothing that affects shooting). Whether this is worth the additional 100 not sure.
31 Jan 2012 1:57PM

Quote:Thanx all.

leftforum : I deleted the post because it showed my account details. Dooooh ! was about to repost. nice 1

was the one u had wireless ? the ones on fleabay from HK/China are between 28 - 60

Yes - radio controlled.

There is one for a Canon currently on eBay for 12 odds. Search the terms Canon, Wireless, Remote Release, and you will find it.
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
31 Jan 2012 2:17PM
I have a 3rd party grip for my D300s made by Meike. They are available on ebay for around 50 from UK sources, meaning a saving of circa 130 over the Nikon item. OEM grip is more sturdy but the in materials but the Meike grip is sturdy, performs well and is a very close match visually. I'd rather spend the extra on something that affects image quality.
thanx all
phader e2
5 16 3
5 Feb 2012 1:56AM
Piggy-backing, can I ask if any of these grips (with the LCD displays..) offer a time lapse facility?

I always thought these things were just a (macho!) waste of time, but now I use my new 7D for video as well, I see the benefit of having two batteries linked up!! Will be very heavy, though!!

Thanks for very helpful comments above - any on timing stuff, useful as well Smile
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2012 11:24AM

Quote:can I ask if any of these grips (with the LCD displays..)offer a time lapse facility

You need a separate timelapse controller - any such setting would come through the camera menu and you access that gthrough the buttons on the back of the camera.
I am not sure what you mean by "grips (with the LCD displays..)"

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.