Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon BJ s9000 v. Epson 1290s - quality of output

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11272 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom25 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2003 - 1:32 PM

Can anyone help me with this? I'm in the process of trying to decide on a new printer, one that prints A3+, and have narrowed it down to the Canon s9000 and the Epson 1290s.

Given the max resolutions of the two (Canon=2400x1440dpi; Epson=2880x720dpi) can someone out there advise me on which will give me the best quality output? DigitalPhoto mag give the Epson their Gold award, and the Canon their Silver award - but I know that they take other aspects into consideration like speed of output, cost of replacement ink cartridges etc etc., so it's not as clear-cut as I'd like it to be ...

My main priority is quality of output. Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Mar 2003 - 1:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cool cat
    cool cat  12145 forum posts
    20 Mar 2003 - 3:10 PM

If your budget will run to the epson 2100 I suggest that you consider it. It is second to none in the A3+ league of printers.

It does use considerable amounts of ink and is slower than the cannon but worth it.

Rob

TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11272 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom25 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2003 - 3:59 PM

Thanks Rob - I've already looked (longingly) at the 2100, but realised my budget wasn't quite that elastic ...

Tanya

Denise
    Denise  12279 forum posts
    20 Mar 2003 - 5:08 PM

Hi,
    I own the 1290 and until I recently upgraded to the i950, I owned the S900 which was literally the A4 version of the S9000. Both printers produce extremely good images. The S900 colours are not quite as saturated as those of the 1290 and the images from the 1290 images need to be left a while for the colour cast to fade. The S900 is way faster and in my opinion cheaper to run. With either printer I would suggest using only Epson/Canon papers. There is a replacement on the way for the S9000 so perhaps you should wait as I don't think there will be much difference in price.

ella
    ella  1143 forum posts
    20 Mar 2003 - 9:12 PM

If you want to print monochrome images, you should request some sample sheets from the manufacturers. I have an Epson 830 with problems producing monochrome photos and today Epson were unable to suggest any of their products that would show an improvement without going for the 2100.

Lesley Jane
    20 Mar 2003 - 11:47 PM

Tanya,
    I have quite recently moved to an A3 printer and chose the Canon S9000. I am delighted with it and have had no problems with blocked nozzles - people have suggested that there was a problem.

It is incredibly fast and I like the fact that there are separate coloured ink cartridges. They are not used up at the same rate so they must be more sensible to use than the combined ones.

The images are just as good as the ones on my last printer - the Epson 890 and I use the Ilford Galerie paper very successfully.

Jessops price matched me considerably when I bought it from them so it can work out costing not a lot more than the 1290.

Lesley

TanyaH
    21 Mar 2003 - 10:27 AM

Many thanks to you all for responding, it's been really useful to get others' thoughts and opinions.

Looks like it's going to be the Canon then, unless a surprise windfall happens, in which case it'll be the 2100!

Tanya

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.