Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon Counterfeit Camera

pf 11 33 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 10:10AM
Hi All

Just wanted everyone to be aware of this scam! I purchased a Canon 7D from www.simplyelectronics.net in January 2010. Unfortunately it recently stopped working so I sent it to Canon for repair, only to be told they won't repair it as it is a counterfeit! The camera is GENUINE but the serial number on the bottom has been swopped, Canon inform me this is so companies can avoid being detected.

I have been onto Simplyelectronics and they insist this isn't the case and they insist Canon don't know what they are talking about!! They are meant to be arranging a return so they can repair the camera - but as yet they haven't been in contact. I have named and shamed this company in the hope it will save others from my situation. I am the second person this has happened too from this company according to Canon, so until your camera goes wrong you will not be aware!

I am not going to return camera to them for repair (though they don't know it), and I have sourced a legitimate camera shop who will repair it (if they can).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 10:35AM
It could be a scam, but it sounds more like it is a grey import, and so it may well be a genuine Canon camera, but it may not have been in the batches that Canon UK imported to the country for sale. Why does that matter? well it matters to the warranty. In this case it may well be that Canon UK will not honour the warranty, but the company that sold the camera to you will. That is why it is always worth checking when buying from low price sellers that the camera is not a grey import. L series lenses on the other hand are not troubled by this as they come with international warranties. But the camera bodies do not get that.

Reading the web site it is clear that Simply Electronics not Canon provides the warranty, so I am pretty convinced it is a grey import company and as such you get lower prices and take the risk that it is them, not Canon that honours the warranty. .
8 Jul 2011 10:41AM
More on Simply Electronics It is one of those companies where lots of people post complaints about. I guess the old adage applies, if it looks too god to be true, then there is a fair chance it is. But it can also be said if you had received a camera that was fine for the period of the warranty then you saved money. It is a gamble.
pf 11 33 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 10:58AM
I remember when I first bought the camera I did phone to check where they were based (Customer service in Hong Kong) and where the camera would come from (UK) - and I distinctly remember them assuring me that all cameras came from the UK (now in my naivety I believed them), but in hindsight, what they probably meant was that all cameras were SENT from the UK - not necessarily sourced in the UK. I was aware of grey imports, and most definitely didn't intend to buy one just to save a few quid!

The camera is not under warranty (over 1 year), but they still would not touch it as it was in their opinion a counterfeit. With any luck the place I have sent it too will be able to repair it - as after all the camera is genuine - the plate is not.
How about this then, to mount on your fake Canon camera?
pf 11 33 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 4:37PM
Ouch ;o)
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 5:13PM

Quote:How about this then, to mount on your fake Canon camera?

Lol i have just been looking at a usb stick 5d2 lol very similar
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2011 5:23PM
I wonder how many other companies with different prices (profit margins) for different countries will refuse to service kit from other countries.
Does this mean if i move countries with my kit i'll be unable to service it in countries other than where i purchased it.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
9 Jul 2011 12:04AM
Services won't be refused - if you're going to pay for the repair the repair shop won't care which country you bought your lens/camera/tripod in. Warranties are a different matter and are where the grey imports come into play. Canon L glass comes with international warranties - whilst their bodies are regional and almost all grey importers selling bodies who are reputable should state that for warranty repairs the camera will either come with an optional/always shop warranty or it will have to be shipped back to the country of origin.
pf 11 33 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2011 10:43PM
The camera wasn't under warranty - I sent it for a quote with a view to pay and have it repaired. It was sent to Canon (Enfield) but Canon wouldn't even look at it, let alone repair it. They just sent it back saying the serial numbers didn't match and that the plate wasn't manufactured by Canon.

I looked at the EXIF of a photo taken with the 7D and the serial number on that and the camera are totally different - never thought to look before!!
9 Jul 2011 11:21PM

Quote:The camera wasn't under warranty - I sent it for a quote with a view to pay and have it repaired. It was sent to Canon (Enfield) but Canon wouldn't even look at it, let alone repair it. They just sent it back saying the serial numbers didn't match and that the plate wasn't manufactured by Canon.

I looked at the EXIF of a photo taken with the 7D and the serial number on that and the camera are totally different - never thought to look before!!

Does this company have a UK office, if yes then I would call them up and discuss the option of you contacting the police re the possibility they are passing off stolen goods. this sounds fishy. It could just be they have used a re-furbished camera and in the rework process added their own sticker.

But for an easier life, have you tried Lehmans as I have had a good experience of using them.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
9 Jul 2011 11:43PM
Hmm odd I've never yet heard of Simply Electronics selling stolen goods - grey imports yes and problems with their support line are in abundance on the net (they seem to be okish unless something goes wrong) - but never out right thefts.

I agree that contacting them direct would be the best move first - if they can't give a good answer/fast resolution your next step should surely be the police
10 Jul 2011 8:07AM
I find it odd that Canon won't carry out a paid repair? Why should they worry about where it was bought.

Keep us informed what happens as I'm sure many people have saved a few pounds by buying from these "cheap" outlets. (Hope my 300mm f2.8 doesn't go wrong as that came from Digital4uWink
Phil1958 5 272 4 Wales
10 Jul 2011 1:14PM
Buying on the net is OK IMHO but you can't beat an independent retailer such as the one I use in Colwyn Bay (Cambrian Photography who have been trading since 1946 and in Colwyn Bay since the early 60's so that tells you a lot!) Pre and after sales are second to none, they won't sell you something if you don't need it, always provide a 12 month shop warranty even for 2nd hand gear unless buying through their e bay shop then it's 6 months on 2nd hand and they only sell UK sourced kit. They may be a little dearer than the Internet shops but if anything goes wrong then they're just down the road not some faceless Internet store. As for SE I have heard of problems with them before and steer well clear - HK based. Hope the OP gets his Camera sorted asap. I will only buy off the net as a last resort if Cambrian haven't got what I want then I only use someone like MPB in Brighton or Ffordes in Scotland who both offer 6 month warranties on 2nd hand.
10 Jul 2011 7:47PM
All very well if you have a good shop handy, and the ready cash. For some people, saving hundreds of pounds is very attractive and one tends not to think "what happens if things go wrong". Must admit I didn't even think internet when I wanted to upgrade to my 7D - Jessops got my money and came up trumps when I had problems.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.