Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6519 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 11:21 AM

I had the none L version of this lens and upgraded to the L version, I then lost a camera bag with the L in it, cutting a long story short I purchased the none L to replace it and to be honest I see little difference, virtually all my macro images in my P/F are taken with the EF 100mm 2.8 so feel free to judge for yourself, mostly hand held by the way.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2012 - 11:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 11:33 AM

Quote: cutting a long story short

A very long story, but I'll fill in one of the blanks by saying Gary very kindly sold me his original non IS 100mm, I think he's regretted it ever since, eh mate? Tongue

Ade

wildworlds
31 Aug 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the warnings! I suppose itís the same old story. If a deal looks too good to be true then It probably is.
Itís like us, we are not the cheapest around, but we have a great deal of back up in place to make things run smoothly. People don't see it but it costs.

And some great macro images guys!!!Grin

G

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 12:18 PM

well that's where i bought mine & they kept me up to date about my order & it came when they said it would. so not all bad are they !

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 12:31 PM

For Canon lenses (unlike their camera bodies), I think they come with an international warranty wherever you buy them from?

wildworlds
31 Aug 2012 - 1:05 PM

Warranties by Canon are country specific. So if you buy a lens or body in the UK and it packs in in the USA, itís not covered under warranty. The only way around this is to be a CPS member. Just spoken to Canon to be certain.

G

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 1:12 PM

I think lenses are world-wide warranty and bodies are country-specific. However, it may be that lenses are country-specific but Canon will service them even if you bought them abroad.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 1:45 PM

Quote: So if you buy a lens or body in the UK and it packs in in the USA, itís not covered under warranty

That's not my understanding for lenses.

Quote: Just spoken to Canon to be certain.

Which bit of Canon did you speak to?

wildworlds
31 Aug 2012 - 1:54 PM

Hi mikehit

I phoned Canon and they say no;warranty is country specific for lenses and bodies unless you are a CPS member.

G

wildworlds
31 Aug 2012 - 2:01 PM

Should have added I spoke to pro support 0844 369 0100 Sorry G

Carabosse
31 Aug 2012 - 2:08 PM

Hmm... I'd be inclined to contact Canon HQ at Reigate (01737-220000) for a definitive answer. The bit about CPS sounds - on the face of it - like codswallop!

But make sure the right question is asked, i.e. would a Canon UK honour the warranty on a lens bought on the web from abroad.

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 2:29 PM

This is from the Canon UK website:

Canon (UK) Ltd Warranty Terms and Conditions

Quote: Canon (UK) Ltd Warranty Terms and Conditions (Excluding Multi Media LCD Projectors)

This warranty is offered to Consumers who have purchased their Canon products within the United Kingdom. It is in addition to, and does not affect your rights under, the Canon European Warranty System or your statutory rights.

Any product returned for repair must be accompanied by a contact name, address and daytime telephone number. If this information is not provided, Canon will be unable to return your product to you and reserves the right to dispose of your product three months after receipt.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Warranty/Terms_Conditions/index.asp

This is about the US products but I am sure would apply to UK as well:

Quote: USA vs. Gray Market Canon Lenses - What is the difference?
When shopping for your Canon lenses, you will likely run into 2 versions of the same lens. One will be the "USA" model and the other will be denoted as "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import".

What is the difference?

The "USA" Canon lenses are imported to the US by Canon USA. "USA" Canon lens warranties are supported by any Canon service facility worldwide. They are also eligible for Canon lens rebates - both instant rebates and mail-in rebates.

The "Gray/Grey Market", "Imported" or "Direct Import" Canon lenses are directly imported by the retailer or their import agent. They are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. At least they "say" they are not covered. Word on the street is that Canon covers gray market lenses under their standard warranty if an invoice from an authorized dealer can be produced. This mirrors my experience as well.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Gray-Market.aspx

So maybe it is more about Canon houring a warranty than the warranty being international (having said that, I am sure my 17-55 f2.8 came with an international warranty when I bought it in Singapore). BUT I also came across a couple of references that Canon in 2011 stopped issuing international warranties so maybe this is part of the confusion.
http://www.current.com.au/2011/09/01/article/Canon-introduces-local-warranties-f...

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 3:55 PM

how many of you have had a problem with a lens ?

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 5:21 PM

Not me and mine came secondhand from GaryD as I mentioned earlier......

Having said this I've just spent what was small fortune on a Canon DSLR repair. The camera, a 50D has just had a new mirror box, shutter, focussing screen, button battery holder and a full service including sensor clean and a Canon specified reset.....Cost?.....£280! But it's like having a new camera, everything is just perfect.........However, before the repair the camera had over 80,000 shutter actuations without ever having any kind of service, so in retrospect it was probably due a breakdown.

Colchester Cameras did the job and very good they were too, not just with the camera, but also they're communications and service. Recommended if anyone needs a repair doing.

Ade

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2012 - 5:34 PM

Quote: How many of you have had a problem with a lens ?

Me.
The autofocus on the kit EFS 18-55 went earlier this year. Cost £85 to repair as it was out of warranty.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.