Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro

colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
31 Aug 2012 5:39PM

Quote:How many of you have had a problem with a lens ?

Me.
The autofocus on the kit EFS 18-55 went earlier this year. Cost 85 to repair as it was out of warranty.

but why did you get that mended? you get one for that !!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
31 Aug 2012 5:40PM

Quote:This is about the US products but I am sure would apply to UK as well

I would not be sure about that at all.
gary_d 7 575 13 Wales
31 Aug 2012 5:54PM

Quote:cutting a long story short

A very long story, but I'll fill in one of the blanks by saying Gary very kindly sold me his original non IS 100mm, I think he's regretted it ever since, eh mate? Tongue

Ade

You are dead right Ade but all is well again now mate.

gary
21 Mar 2013 10:14AM
I have the Canon 180/3.5 L macro, which is the best lens so far IMHO. However, I wanted to have another Canon macro, smaller and as good as the 180/3.5. So, I purchased the Canon 100/2.8 Macro NON-US recently for a relative low price. I found the IQ to be as good as the current L lens I have, and it is very light compared to it. It extend, but I do not mind. THe front element is recessed, so it does not require hood (and there is none for it). It works well with the extension tubes. So, I am very happy about it.
Coast e2
6 1.5k 292 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2013 7:35PM

Quote:I have the Canon 180/3.5 L macro, which is the best lens so far IMHO. However, I wanted to have another Canon macro, smaller and as good as the 180/3.5. So, I purchased the Canon 100/2.8 Macro NON-US recently for a relative low price. I found the IQ to be as good as the current L lens I have, and it is very light compared to it. It extend, but I do not mind. THe front element is recessed, so it does not require hood (and there is none for it). It works well with the extension tubes. So, I am very happy about it.

I have the non IS version of the 100mm f2.8 macro lens and have had it for around 6 years. It came with a Canon lens hood in the box so I can only assume that palenquero has bought used with the hood not included.

As for quality... I can only say that it is crisp and sharp with good contrast and colour rendition. Very high quality in build, feel and use and if you are looking for a macro lens for your Canon camera then I recommend you search one of these lenses out as it will be somewhat cheaper than the newer IS version. From what I've read here and elsewhere the IQ between this and the L IS version are not discernible. If IS is a must have then you only have one option however in my experience I rarely use the IS on my 24-105mm and the majority of the macro work I do with the 100mm is on a tripod.

Great lens.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.